Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Between the Stitches :: Back-to-School Edition.


My first post in the :: Between the Stitches there is Life :: series--in an attempt to share the goings-on in my life besides the knitting (because, well, there is still as of yet no finished Central Park Hoodie. But! There is now most of a hood! I plod along...). This edition is brought to you by the Bryn Mawr College Harassers' Committee, who decided that it was a good idea to have the first day of every school year fall on a national holiday (they're the ones who make all of the decidedly inconvenient graduate school policies, as well, by the bye). Thus, my Labor Day was spent trundling through barbeques just kicking off and kids drawing chalk pictures on sidewalks on my commute from Philly into school. The trains were uncrowded, at least, since I was commuting out of the city on a beautiful, sunny holiday. There's me, above, dashing off to my first day of classes.


My new back-to-school tote, made by the lovely Claudine and purchased from her sweet little shop, quelled my bitterness over having to give up my holiday in order to go talk about the origins of agriculture and the Urban revolution, which is what I am teaching this semester. Don't I look smart, with my sassy new bookbag!


While I was laboring away at school, a few others were hard at work back at the homestead being über-lazy and squeezing their freakishly large kitty bodies into empty beer boxes. Who better to manage such toiling than ECC?


Fear not, ECC, you shall soon be able to trade out your Harpoon Summer variety pack box with a brand-new fall edition Punkin Ale box. Mmm... it is almost that time of year again.

Labels:

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, shame on Bryn Mawr--shouldn't they be good liberals, down with the worker's holiday??
But fall does start to sound good, when you start thinking about the beer...

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well, at least you looked chic... :)
I think I'm going to enjoy your BTS posts.

4:17 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love that 'first-day-of-school' shot, you look very smart and chic!

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Wow--do I love that bag, ECC or Punkin Ale more? I'm not sure I could ever choose.

(But if you held a gun to my head it's probably Edwin Claudius.)

4:44 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Love the bag! I'm currently on a fabric bag kick myself. Only I'm hoping that my lovely mother will trade some bags for some knitted goods.

ECC is adorable. I love how cats insert themselves into tiny little spaces.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I am getting excited for chili season, and now I have a new beer to try. Not with chili, mind you, but perhaps with a cassoulet? Maybe some stew? Roasted root veggies? Yum!

5:16 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Hope your first day was painless! I always look forward to getting back, back into the routine. That kitty is a giant - lovin' him!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain - Va. Tech holds classes on Labor Day too. what a bummer!!

at least you had a fantastic bag and cute kitties for support. :)

6:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, dude. Total bummer about school, maaan.

But I am excited about pumpkin beer reappearing in stores. I saw some last week but R (who is not a beer fan) couldn't be convinced that we needed it in our fridge. Soon, though, I shall wear him down.

Also: one of the things I missed most about this area when I was in Ohio and Tennessee was the beer. I really, honesty love DFH and Yuengling, and it's so nice to have them back.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, you look *super* smart with you new tote. ;0)

6:22 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Love the tote, but I'm so sorry to hear you had to work while the rest of us played.

The kitty in the box is priceless.

8:33 PM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

VERY cute tote and ooooh, kitty!!! I love kitties, especially orange tabbies!

2:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that's so lame, having the first day of school fall on Labor Day! Your new bag looks very cool, though, so maybe that sort of makes up for it. ECC looks so much like my kitties (one of which also likes to stuff himself in boxes that are smaller than he is).

8:11 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

How not cool is that - having the first day on Labor Day....Booo!!!! Cute tote though... :)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Phoe said...

The BTS posts are a great idea. Love the bag. And the kitty. :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Oh,yes. You do look quite the intelligentsia with that tote! Stiking fear into your students!

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We always start classes the Thursday before Labor Day, I have never understood it. In any case, at least you went back in style.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

After 25 years of attending or working in academics, I still don't understand how colleges and universities, who one would think would wish to appear logical and intelligent, do such stupid things.

Great bag! And ECC is such a sweet looking cat. He looks very safe in his box/lair.

12:57 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Funny, I had the same dilemma as Ashley, but the beer won out. Sorry, ECC!

Love the bag (how do you fit everything in it, though?) AND your supercute shirt.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Great tote, and there are few things more endearing than a big cat in a small box. (Love your shirt, too.)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

I think you need to knit her a cat bed.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

I'm going to miss all the pumpkin ales so much! I think I'm going to start a small collection & save them for after this baby pops outta me.
-L

3:33 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Aren't cats brilliant at getting into those tiny, cozy places?

Cute bag.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Love your new bag.

Aren't kitties so good at making everything look cozy?

4:06 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Oh my. Pumpkin Ale is my weakness. Sadly though, none of the stuff you can buy here is very good...

And Dogfish doesn't distribute to NM. I might have to roadtrip it to CO to get some, if it is as good as you say ;)

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, good to see the tote in its new habitat ;) You look very sassy indeed. (Sorry I didn't comment earlier, been internet-less here! :( )

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home