Thursday, July 19, 2007

Picots, Picots, the Biggest Philistine, Picots.


Hi, meet my newest obsession: Picots. Hi there, picots, nice to meet you. You do look fabulous on all my socks. And I do mean all of my socks. I'm not exactly certain what instigated this obsession, but I suspect it was the Princess and the Picot. The hybridization of the sweet picot cuff and the addictive Monkey pattern. How perfect! How perfectly adorable (not to mention one miraculously gets out of knitting ribbing, which I am all for)! But what if one were to push the envelope a bit further...


OH MY! Picoted Monkeys with a schmancy (but easy!) twisted rib??? Tell me more about this fabulous new FANCY Monkey! This most excellent discovery was made by one Ms. woolforbreakfast, and upon seeing hers, I knew I had to have some Fancy Monkeys too. In pink, no less. And theeeeen... another amazing hybridization came into being...


Giotto-With-the-Flows! Truly, one of the most clever melding of two great patterns into one FANTASTIC pattern! Anna Bell's Giotto socks have the most amazing cuffs. So detailed and pretty. But the main stitch of the sock, the infamous T3s (otherwise known as the triple twist stitch) is VERY hurty. Pretty, yes. But hard on the fingers and hands. Ow. I miraculously made it through one skyblue giotto, but the experience was pretty intense, with all of that crazy triple twisting and such. Then along came Ms. Clever, one Ms. whitknits who discovered, after suffering the pain of the T3s for herself, that a super-fantastic sock could be had pain-free with the substitution of Evelyn Clark's Go With the Flow sock pattern. Voila! Again, had to have for myself. Oh, I am in love with these two socks!! They both have me quite captivated at the moment.

And just when I thought I was sated, I started daydreaming about other potential picot/giotto cuff hybrids... the giotto cuff with plain stockinette (oh, Kris read my mind! I might just have to have a matching pair...). And the giotto cuff with the hedera leg pattern, perhaps (OH! Lori is clearly on the picot wave-length, as well!). Mmmmm, picots. They are clearly taking over the world. And my blog.

Oooooh, right. And the winner of the blogiversary contest! Of course! How could I forget? Silly me and all of those sweet, sweet picots!! And the biggest Philistine is...


Ms. schrodinger knits! Congratulations, Ms. schrodinger! You are the new owner of a complete set of soapy goodness! I do hope you enjoy it! (Have y'all seen this gal's newest sock design? It is way cute! Check it.)

I really do owe everyone (all 102 of you!!!) a great big ::THANK YOU:: for the blogiversary well-wishing and taking the time to humor me and play my silly little online quiz games. That is about as interactive as this blog will ever get, I SWEAR. Believe me when I say that I know how horrible FORCED FUN (oh, poor Minty had to endure it recently) is. And I rarely wish it on anyone. (What do I have to say about Charades? It makes a great sock pattern. Period. The end.) But I hope you all had a bit of fun learning whether or not you harbor a true inner Philistine nature.

Now, show me those picots!

Labels: , , ,

38 Comments:

Blogger maritza said...

Love love LOVE those Giotto-With-the-Flow socks. Gorgeous stuff! And I love the hybridization of sock patterns. I've got a few I'd love to try that with....

7:50 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Gorgeous Giotto with picots! I have got to try that pattern. Maybe this will revive my sock drought.

7:53 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, the Giotto socks and the picot edging might be my newest obsession as well!

7:56 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

omg, I am in love with being in love with picot - now I have to try some:) Yours are gorgeous!

8:06 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

oooh, i love these two sock variations! great idea :)

8:26 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love your giotto's! Yes, it was PAINFUL to knit those socks but somehow I endured through a pair. I've wanted to knit them up again but haven't because of the pain! ;)

Thanks to your post I see a new pair in my future!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I really liked whitknits Giotto-with-the-flow socks too! The picot edge is a lot more fun to knit than ribbing :)

I added a picot edge to my Loksins! socks for my Sockapalooza pal.

9:19 PM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

Ohh, I love those Giottos With the Flow socks! I might just have to make those myself . . .

Pink Monkeys? That's what I'm doing too, minus the fancy schmancy cuff. I just love them in pink! I've already completed one, so I can't go back and add that beautiful cuff.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing your blue Giotto sock was a big part of what started my own picot-obsession! I think I'm going to start putting it on all of my socks. Your Giotto-With-The-Flow is looking very lovely, as is the modified Monkey. Viva la picot!

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Everything's better with PICOTS!

Beautiful socks!

10:39 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Loving the picot edges, just started a pair with picots myself (picot virgin here).

Did I mention WOO HOO!!! Sooooo excited about the handmade soapy goodness. Thank you!

11:16 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

PS Thanks for the sock mention, pattern coming soooooon.

PPS did I mention, after work beers makes for a drunken knitter/knit-blog commenter? :))

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the best kind of Forced Fun! I wasn't going to win anything at work :)

Congrats again, hon!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

yay picots!! my monkeys had them too - they are just perfect on everything!!!!

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Them there picots is nice. I like 'em!

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those socks. Picots are a very good thing.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been loving picots but now I have to branch out like you! I love all the mixing you're doing!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was a time where I was a little "meh" about picots...but the more I see them...the less meh I am about them...I think I may LOVE them. Kinda like I love your socks...

12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you as a big fan of picots. In fact, the Monkey modification may be the one that finally gets me to break down and knit a pair!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Jocelyn said...

I, too, have been meh in the past about the picot edge on socks, but I think you might be winning me over. Oh, and happy belated blogiversary!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, ha. i would say you have a rare form of picot-tius. Sadly, I don't know if there is a cure.

I am really in love with your petal pink monkey's. That petal pink is divine darling and oh so dainty to boot!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

The pinky monkeys are beautiful, but it's the Giotto-with-the-flow socks that make my heart flutter.

Vive la picot!

12:00 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Wow, what beautiful colors for socks.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Loving the picots! And the colors are gorgeous. I almost think you could wear one green sock and one pink sock, in different patterns, and still look stylish.

8:05 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

aw, I missed the contest -- HAPPY (belated) BLOGIVERSARY!! And I love both the hybrid socks, especially Giotto-with-the-Flow. Clever clever. :)

10:01 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

Just got my Pirate Booty! LOOOOOVE your soap! I put it in my big giant bin full of wool, so it'll smell special!

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, you're right - again. PICOTS IT IS! And you're not alone my friend - the T3 thingys drove me MAAAAAD!

6:00 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Hey there chickadee! Love the soap from the YPBC!!! I just used it and I smell delish. Any plans to make a matching lotion? Pretty please??

-Ash-

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the picots! I love them too. I also might be willing to make some "Fancy Monkeys" if only so I can say "let me go get my Fancy Monkeys on."

2:59 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

would you believe i've never picoted.... shuuush! i know!! you're are gorgeous and they are making me jealous i haven't tried that tech yet! congrats agaain!!

11:31 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

Love the picots!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Cirilia said...

I had to decline my invite to the SSL group because I am too type A to embrace asymmetry in that way! I'm...I'm...a sock Philistine!! I have no inner Pippi! Gah!

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

me like the green socks. the combination of the two patterns looks fantastic! can't wait to see the finished socks!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Hannah Six said...

Gorgeous socks! My fingers are literally ACHING to cast on a pair...any pair! And Kris' Hederas look fantastic--great combo. Just can't get enough socks right now, even though I'm trying to finish a sweater. You're a sock enabler!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely picots! I'm really into picots too at the moment, even if for no other reason than the fact that it gets me out of ribbing! :)

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you ever updating again?

6:22 PM  
Blogger Panda said...

Hi Sockpal! I got my socks last night when I got home from work and I LOVE them! In fact, I'm wearing them to work today. They fit wonderfully well -- just perfect in every way. The lacy/ cabely goodness blows me away. And I love the goodies, too! I had to try the bath tea out right away, and its wonderful! You are the best!

9:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am totally floored by both picot socks...oh my gosh they are amazing! I have to try this sometime...if I can figure out who what where and how!

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home