Tuesday, March 18, 2008

F I R E


First things first, for all of you who have been following my trials and tribulations of the ominous prelim exams, they are over and I passed. Thank you all for your well-wishing during the past crazy two months of studying and hating my crapademic lifestyle. What have I been up to since March 2, the last time I posted, you ask? Well, I have one word for you: socks. Okay, actually, I have two words for you: single socks. The beauty above is a Spearfish sock knit using Fleece Artist 3/6 in Beet. Such a vixen, this sock is.


Some--though I suspect not all--of you will be happy to know that the Single Sock Liberation Movement is a far cry from being just another passing fad on the knitting scene. I am currently entrenched in my latest project--Project Spectrum 3.0 The Single Sock Edition. Yes, friends, my Philistine magic can skew any interesting and well thought out project into a fun new excuse to knit a bunch of single socks with not even the slightest concern for the second sock. I am currently knitting (and will continue to knit) single socks in the colors of the Project Spectrum Elements colors. The past two months have been devoted to F I R E--pink, red, and orange.


This cable-y beauty is a Liebchen sock, knit using Jo Sharp Alpaca Silk yarn in Dusk. The alpaca and silk blend yarn is wonderful for socks; the silk makes it strong and shiny, while the alpaca makes it all fuzzy, warm and comfy. Once the mate comes along (don't hold your breath, though), these are going to make perfect bed socks!


And the ribbed back of the leg ensures a wonderful fit.


This 'un is a Sock of Kindness knit using Sundara sock yarn in Papaya over Grapefruit. I don't think I've ever made a sock that fit my foot so well. Num.


This sweet red singlet was another fun knit. It's actually knit from a pattern available at the moment only in Finnish, the Strawberry Fields Socks. Lucky for me, I happened to email Kris for some help, and, despite not being Finnish or knowing a lick of Finnish, she decided it would be fun to translate Finnish into English. Go figure, because she translated it perfectly (as Tehri, who IS Finnish, has attested to). And Tehri has contacted the designer to make the pattern available in English, which should happen sometime soon, in the event that a) you are interested in making this sock, and b) you don't speak/read a lick of Finnish.


Perhaps a closer inspection of the heel and toe will convince you that, despite not knowing Finnish, you want to knit this sock? Beautiful heel, with the garter stitch rib traveling all the way down the heel.


And the side panels of garter stitch rib travel all the way down to the tip of the toe, which I think is an amazing detail. It's what made me seek out Kris' translating skills in the first place.


And who can go wrong with the stockinette Koigu sock? I call this one the Picot + Koigu = LOVE sock. It's the first in a long, long series planned. I needed a reason to need to use lots and lots of Koigu, so I created one. A sock series. Ah, again, that Philistine magic up-to-no-goodery hard at work.


There you have it: the F I R E single socks.
E A R T H single socks will begin promptly on April 1. And I, for one, can't wait.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

35 Comments:

Blogger bockstark.knits said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!! How do you do it? a little jealous over here ...

7:57 PM  
Blogger Janis said...

Wow! While I don't exactly like the socks as pictured with the patterns, I love your versions. Now I must add to my Ravelry queue.

8:08 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Good Lord woman, you are a one woman sock machine!! Love the Picot/Koigu so much...

8:15 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I have 'enjoyed' reading your trials and tribulations with pre-lims (is that wrong to enjoy someone else's pain?). Glad to hear they are over and you can relax?? Mine are coming up in a few months and I will freely admit I am dreading it. Wishing I had planned better and not put them right in the middle of summer!

Love the socks by the way--especially the sock of kindness!

8:19 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

i have to say that there is something to this single sock liberation thing. they look great.

i can hardly wait to see the earth edition.

8:50 PM  
Blogger maritza said...

Wow! You've been an industrious knitter. These are all fabulous. VĂ­va la Single Sock Liberation Movement!

9:49 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - I'm in absolute awe of your socks - oh to have just one, there is some serious satisfcation in that! I really like the Spearfish and then the Strawberry Fields - omg. I am not sure I could figure out Finnish, but the heel is spectacular! Bravo!

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!! Serious inspiration here on many levels. Especially the reason to bye Koigu. Mmmmmmmm Koigu...gurgle. Also, I am jealous as well, i try not to be jealous of other knitters and be proud of everyone's accomplishments, but, now I'm jealous.

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, "buy" Koigu, not "bye"...we don't want to say bye to koigu. =(

10:45 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Wooooooooooo! You passed!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I ever thought you wouldn't, but it must feel so good to have jumped that hurdle.

And those socks? Amazing.

11:02 PM  
Blogger K8 said...

Congrats on being done with prelims (it's a huge relief, isn't it?)! What a great collection of socks - wonderful patterns and really beautiful yarns.

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on passing the prelims! That is awesome (and a relief I'm sure!).
Those socks are tremendous - you've been a total machine!

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on the prelims (I am so glad I am long past that stage but suspect I may have to live it again through my daughters one day!)

I adore them all, I was even caught stroking the screen of my pc!

If you are ever in the UK perhaps you could consider an emergency first aid stop at my small sock knitting disaster area, not only would I be full of heartfelt thanks .... so would my long suffering family!!

4:15 AM  
Blogger Cate said...

I'm so glad you like the Liebchen sock, it turned out wonderfully. All your socks are beautiful. Congrats on the prelims too!

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful socks! I especially love the Strawberry Fields - I think you did an amazing job - and can't wait for the English version of the pattern to come out.

Congrats on the prelims, as well.
Best,
Claudia

6:57 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

Beautiful socks! You've given me tons of great pattern ideas! Thanks!

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely socks! How do you find the time? If I'd known how to knit which I was in grad school, I probably wouldn't have managed to get more than half a sock done the entire time I was there. :)

Congratulations on finishing your prelims! It's a wonderful feeling (once your hands regain feeling after all the typing, that is!). I did my prelims (in sociocultural anthro) a while ago and have been mired in ABD land for some time.

Good luck on the grant writing!

8:48 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

those are quite the additions to the single sock collection!!!! your sock needles were on "fire" these past months! :)

9:38 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

ooooh, i love that strawberry fields sock! i hope they translate it soon :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger ~Jody said...

Awesome! I love the fact that you make single socks with no excuses! And what beautiful socks they are!!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter said...

I must have Strawberry Fields socks! I love me some garter rib, and it's a perfect detail to have it flow all the way down to the toe and the edges of the heel flap. Spectacular work all around. I think you should just hang all those beautiful socks on the wall as art until you get around to knitting the mates.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my these are all so perfect for fire socks. the picot has to be my favorite, you are so inspirational with your dainty picots!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on prelims!!! That's wonderful!

And you always inspire me with your gorgeous socks. You make me want to cast on!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

um...5 SOCKS??!? Single or no, 5 socks is still a lot of sock. They are all beautiful.

3:22 PM  
Blogger kris said...

ahhh, such beauty! *love*

4:07 PM  
Blogger Kwana said...

Wonderful socks, socks and more socks!! Congrats on passing too!!!

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my! This post made me gasp!

6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on passing prelims! I'm really loving your FIRE single socks, they all look spectacular...maybe I can run with the "single socks for Project Spectrum" idea, since my plan to knit even a single pair for the current colors is, uh, not going to be happening.

7:39 AM  
Blogger kaetrn said...

congrats on passing the exams! i love the koigu picot sock and also the grapefruit/papaya one!

8:20 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Gorgeous, all. And, if I haven't said it enough already, CONGRATS!! xo

5:22 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

hot, hot, hot

6:17 PM  
Blogger Katie M. said...

Big congrats on finishing -- and passing -- the prelims! And so many socks -- all fire-liscious and lovely.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Congratulations on passing your prelims!

Love all the fire socks! The Sock of Kindness is amazing.

In the Single Sock Swap I knit a braided cable sock which you liked. Do you still want the pattern?

9:08 PM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Bravo! They're all fabulous!

2:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Those are wonderful!
What a fantastic idea.

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home