Saturday, August 25, 2007

Wip-ed.


Wiped, indeed. Summer is coming to a close and fall is peeking around the corner of the next block. I am ready for it. This summer has completely wiped me out, intellectually. I spent the last three months researching like mad for this fall exhibition I am curating at Bryn Mawr College. This project turned out to be a massive undertaking--a six month project (at least!) that had to be done in a mere three. Insanity. And plenty of stress. It is finally nearing completion, and I couldn't be more thankful. I have a week left to finish it and then everything has to go off to the professional printer's. One week left. Eek. The exhibition postcard has been finalized and is being printed, which is pretty exciting, but it's the first thing of the exhibition that is in concrete form, so I'm a bit nerved over it. So there it is. In all of its... glory? The opening date of the show is September 25, and it runs through January. I have an opening speaker and everything. It's an actual... event. And public, very public (bites nails).


Speaking of WIPed, I feel like I owe y'all an update on my knitting. There has been so little blogging these past few months, but I've actually been knitting rather steadily the whole summer. First, of course, there are lots of single socks. Eight, to be exact. It is getting to be that time when I am yearning to have pairs, so I might actually be ready to knit some mates. For those interested, the eight socks are, clockwise from the top:

:: Pink Fancy Monkey Socks :: Fleece Artist Seawool in Light Pink
:: Lemongrass Pomatomus Almost Kneehighs :: STR Mediumweight in Lemongrass
:: My Bloody Valentine Socks :: Hello Yarn Merino Sock in Hush
:: Skyblue Giotto Socks :: STR Lightweight in Blue Moonstone
:: Red Robin Socks :: Woolley Boully Meanie Sock in Red Robin: Bird, Nest & Eggs
:: Giotto-With-the-Flow Socks :: Sundara Sock in Grey Green over Mint
:: Child's First Sock :: Fleece Artist Seawool in Buttercream
:: Rum Runner Socks :: Yarn Pirate Merino in Rum Runner


In addition to a bunch of single socks, I have been knitting piles of sweater parts. I've had 10 balls of Rowan Silk Wool DK in my stash for awhile now, and though I had plans to knit something else with it, inspiration struck and I decided to knit the Wide Collar Cardigan from Jo Sharp Knit 3. I'm knitting it at a completely different gauge to create a less stiff, more loosely draped fabric, and I must say, it is turning out beautifully. The only problem is I have run out of the 10 balls, and I'd guess that I still need another 4 or 5. D'oh. And the wide collar is taking for-EH-ver to knit. 1x1 ribbing for about a scarf's length... ugh. So, this beauty is taking a little siesta while I wait for funds to acquire more Silk Wool. I have maybe 2/3 of the collar left to knit and the right side. All else is done and waiting patiently in a gorgeous aqua-colored pile to be seamed. This will be a pretty little early fall sweater, when it is finished.


Meantime, I have convinced myself to pick up the black sheep of my old WIPs, the ol' Central Park Hoodie in Rowan Yorkshire Tweed. You know, the pattern craze from last fall... finally, finally, it might actually be finished soon. I have the right side to knit, then it can be seamed up and all that will be left is the hood and the button band. Well on it's way to becoming wearable!

I have big, big sweater-knitting plans for this fall, involving, you guessed it, the fabulous new designs from the latest Interweave Knits. Tangled Yoke? Yes please. Minimalist cardigan? Serve it up. And the Tilted Duster? Yes, yes, and yes some more. Now comes the impatient wait for the stipend checks to begin rolling in again to replenish my yarn supplies. Until then, I'll be finishing up my WIPs and yearning for fresh bags of Rowan Felted Tweed and Kid Classic and Berroco Peruvia.

Happy weekend, all!

Labels: ,

38 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks like you have been busy! I love the sweaters that are almost done! And your exhibition sounds very exciting! All I can say is " Wow, Sis. Awesome!!!" Love you much!

10:19 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, you have been busy on all fronts. Congrats on your exhibition, what a huge accomplishment. And your socks are blowing my mind, what a killer post!!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Who's getting a pair first? One of the Giottos? They're my favorites.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Desiknitter said...

Congratulations and good luck on your exhibition, Megan!

That yorkshire tweed looks delicious. Which one of those socks will get hitched first?

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending you warm cogratulations on your exhibition. The postcard is brilliant - and I'm sure it will all run smoothly.

Also, I couldn't help but smile when I saw the wide collar cardigan from JS. The colour is stunning. x

5:21 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Ditto Nora's good wishes for your exhibition. It will be a smash, I'm sure. And I like the postcard.

The sock gorgeousness! The sweaters! I envy your productiveness.

6:26 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

congrats on getting your exhibition off the ground! i'm sure that felt great. yeah, you should definitely make pairs for those lonely socks. they are all so nice! they miss their partners ;)

8:23 AM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

That exhibition looks fascinating. I really should bring the DD's down to see it. DD#1 especially, would enjoy it.

The WIPs all look fabulous. That is such a beautiful array of single socks. If you are planning on finishing up some WIPs feel free to join our humble little Flickr Group "UFO Knitters Unite".

8:39 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Holy moley! That's a lot of gorgeous stuff. And the exhibit! You should be proud!

I absolutely love the yarn you chose for your wide collar cardi. I bought that Jo Sharp book just for that pattern and I can't wait to knit one myself. Now I know to order extra yarn!

10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow -- congrats on your exhibition, and good luck seeing it all the way through to completion!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

I love all the socks and the photo! You take the best photos!

Congrats on your exhibition! That is so exciting!! :)

11:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Damn, girl - you *have* been busy! Love all the single socks. You can start second single sock revolution and get pairs of socks this time.

Congrats on your exhibition:)

11:25 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks like a great exhibition - congrats on finishing up all that hard work!! Love the aqua, too - I would definitely not be able to do that much 1x1 ribbing, I would get *so* bored.

11:32 AM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

now i don't feel bad with my 3 single socks! :) seriously though, all of them are just gorgeous!

11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck on the exhibition! I love that photo with all the singleton socks. The Wide Collar Cardigan is looking *gorgeous*...I absolutely love that color!

11:41 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Congratulations, M!! It's so cool to see evidence of some payoff for all your hard work this summer! I love your Poms, by the way -- and not just because they're all yellowy-green. (Okay, maybe just because they're all yellowy-green.)

I'm also impatiently waiting for Fall paychecks to start, so my yarn life can get plumped up again after all my summer destashing. Must. Knit. Sweaters!

12:46 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Good luck with the exhibition. You look as though it hasn't deterred you from knitting. All those half pairs and sweater parts - all that FO potential!!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Wow, that's a lot of busyness! I'm glad the stressful part will be coming to an end soon. I'm also glad you've had some (beautiful) knitting to work on in the in-between times :)

3:44 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

The exhibition is going to be amazing, thanks to all that hard work. Congratulations!

It is something a non-archaeologist would be interested in?

3:48 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

first, the postcard looks fabulous! you've been busy and i'm very impressed with everything you're doing. love the socks. i don't knit socks, but when i decide to start i must do a pair of those Pomatomus(es?). love that pattern! the sweaters sound great. can't wait to see them as they get finished. i noticed you mentioned Rowan Felted Tweed. do you know any good places to order it online?

4:41 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

congratulations on your great accomplishment - that exhibition looks great! I'm sure it will be a smash.

I LOVE that color of the silk wool. it's amazing.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Great postcard for the exhibition! I'm sure it will all work out well. The nerves will make sure you let nothing get overlooked.

Great WIPs as well! The socks are all amazing.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow, those socks! They all look fantastic. Do you have 8 mannequin legs displaying them somewhere visible? No? You should! :)

And those were my three favorite sweaters from the fall IK, too. Good luck with the sweaters in progress!

7:56 PM  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Congratulations on the post card! And the whole exhibition!

Now can you please come back to blogging for us? Pretty please? :)

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The exhibition sounds amazing- all good things require hard work- but i'm sure it was all worth it.
Seriously, that is a TRUCKLOAD of socks- glad to see you are still at the forefront of the single sock movement. Well, for now anyway... ;0)

1:45 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

too bad I don't live closer - I would so be there at the opening!

lots of big knitting plans for the fall (like all of us) it will be fun seeing all the visions come to life!

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The single socks are cracking me up. I think you should go to at least a dozen before you start on the pairs.

I'm in awe of your summer of accomplishment, both academic and knitting! This has definitely been my slothiest summer yet.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

I'm very familiar with the stipend check waiting period...I need mine too for yarn supplies! ;)

But despite lack of yarn funds, it looks like you're doing a good job delving into the sock yarn stash. And even if there's no finished pairs to knit, all those socks still make for a pretty blog picture!

And congrats on the exhibit! That's very exciting, and I know it will be great.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Won't you feel proud when the exhibit opens! What a lot of work. I like the socks and sweater parts too, you've been busy!

7:46 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Yes, it would be great to have some mates for your 8 single socks, but does that really even matter when you have an amazing exhibition to boast about?! Congratulations!

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go with your big exhibition! I was wondering where our little bloggy philistine had run off to.

That Jo Sharp sweater looks absolutely delicious. Is the yarn as yummy as it looks? Mmmm.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

I love all of your socks. I was stalking your blog because I heard from the ADD Knitter that you had a pick up of a sock made from my yarn, but then for some reason my computer wasn't showing the picture! But I did see them on flckr. Wow! You're a sock-knitting queeen! I'll have to give sweaters and the picot edge a try.

7:52 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

So. Busy! Don't forget to breathe!

I have a friend moving to Philly and I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for places to eat/go/see?

Please email me at

Ruth AT 5elementknitr DOT com

with suggestions!

Thanks!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that "public" as in we can come take a look?
-shellie

6:04 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Love that postcard!!! Is it possible us little people could get one, perhaps? I would love to go see that exhibition, thats right up my alley of interest. Here's hopeing for an awesome opening.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

That Rowan Silk Wool is such a pretty colour. As for the socks, if I found myself with eight singles I'd probably have a breakdown! :)

Congratulations on your exhibit. Enjoy the fruits of your labour! Is there an online component?

9:57 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Hey! Congrats on the exhibition...I wish I could go! I know how you feel about the whole going public thing; I had an article accepted for publication for the first time recently, and they just asked me for my bio info. I was like, oh. People are going to see this. Lots and lots of people (OK, to be realistic, maybe only 25, taking into account the not-so-widespread academic audience, hee.)

1:51 PM  
Blogger sarah shepherd said...

That Rowan Silk DK is delicious ... as is the tweed ... look forward to seeing the finished project ... hoping it will inspire me to finish some of my many projects

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home