Thursday, July 12, 2007

Finished: Sockapalooza4 Rococo Socks


They are finished. On time. My sock pal will have socks! And a matching pair at that. And, um, they fit me perfectly, despite my apparent sizing them for a foot two sizes smaller than mine. Hopefully with a little wash and block action, they'll fit her, too.


Finished: Sockapalooza4 Socks for my sock pal!
Pattern: Rococo by knitspot
Fiber: All Things Heather 100% superwash merino in "Orchid"
Needles: size 1 dpns
Date Started: 20 June 2007
Date Completed: 10 July 2007
Modifications: A few minor modifications. See below for more details.


First, I now love these socks. The whole time I was knitting them I was so not into them. But they turned out great. They're sort of difficult to photograph with any due justice, mostly because the yarn is very fine and the pattern is subtle. But the combination of those two qualities created these amazing light, wispy socks. Love the Rococo pattern. I *will* knit some of these for myself, definitely. And see that cool detail in the above photo? Gutters of purl stitches along the sides of the sock, which work a lot like elastic. For, you know, a perfect fit. Great design detail.


The most extreme modification I made to the pattern was knitting the back panel of the sock in plain stockinette, rather than repeating the front lace panel. I just fell in love with the little stripes the colorway created on the foot bottoms that I wanted to keep it going on the back of the sock. Now, I have to admit that I do like the lace panel knit in back too... have a look at the newly finished pair knit by the chemgrrl. Very pretty. But I think the plain stockinette works better in the case of my socks. The yarn is thin, so stockinette adds stability to the sock and seems more balanced for the variegated colorway.


Cute toes! I love the combination of pseudo-cables and laciness.


And check out those cute lacy cuffs! Love that detail.

Did I mention already that there are two? That's right, there are two. I hope my sock pal loves them.

Next up: 'Tis the season for blogiversary celebrations! Seems mine is coming up in a few days. There will be a big-time-fun contest. With some sort of give-away, I'm sure. Though I have yet to establish what that will be; I'll have to get creative, as I am beyond poor right now. Yay, one year old blog!

Labels: , , ,

40 Comments:

Blogger Wool Girl said...

Love the detail in the cuff! Really great colorway!

10:05 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

They really are great; I just regret that they will not be coming to live with me and my giant clodhoppers.

The purl gutter feature is great--I'll be looking for places to incorporate that.

10:22 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Those are beautiful, I've got that pattern, it might have to be the next knit!

10:32 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Definitely think that the stockinette panel works well and sets off the lace pattern nicely...way to go!

10:32 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Beautiful choices! I love the plain stst on the back. I was really struck by the stripes the second I saw the sock.

I *wish* these were coming to me!!!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

The socks are beautiful. Your pal is sure to love them!

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are really beautiful! I'm going to have to get myself a copy of that pattern asap. I love that you chose to do the back of the leg in plain stockinette - I also do that on occasion to show off the yarn!

10:49 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I love those! Great job! *crosses fingers hoping I'm your sockapalooza pal* :)

12:18 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You definitely made the right decision about that back panel. Those stripes are very cool.

12:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are so very pretty! And yay! - for your upcoming blogiversary!

2:13 AM  
Blogger Terhi said...

Oooo, pretty socks! I love these! I was gonna knit something else than socks for a change – but nope, I just must knit socks. :-D

2:49 AM  
Blogger Mari said...

Very nice. Your sock pal is very lucky!

I really like the yarn - beautiful, rich colours. And I think you made a right choise in doing the back of the leg in stockinette.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

those socks are just beautiful. thank you so much for turning me onto that pattern!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Micki said...

Gorgeous socks! And good call on knitting the backs of the legs plain.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely the perfect blend of cable and lacy goodness! I love the striping- so cool! How could you not love variegated yarns? ;0)

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful socks. I love the pattern and the color. Congrats on your soon-to-be blogiversary!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Wow, those are beautiful! I love the contrast of the lace panel with the stockinette back. And nothing beats purl gutters to set off the lace!!! I'm sure your sock pal will love them!!!! What do you think of the All Things Heather yarn? When I'm done with my diet, I'm thinking of placing an order...

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh, pretty! I really like what you did with the stockinette on the backside of the sock, it looks perfect! What a lucky sock pal you've got.

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look great. Your sock pal is very lucky!

8:18 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

those came out great! the mods you made seem perfect for what they are for - ensuring a perfect fit for your pal (who I'm bummed isn't me - love the purple!)

8:32 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

those came out great! the mods you made seem perfect for what they are for - ensuring a perfect fit for your pal (who I'm bummed isn't me - love the purple!)

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're great! your sock pal will love them. :)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Great yarn, great color, great pattern, great mods, and two of them! Wonderful :)

9:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very, very nice! Your sock pal will love them!

10:11 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

What beautiful socks. And look how pretty they look with your shoes. If I were you I'd be awfully tempted to keep them for myself... Lucky sock pal!

10:11 AM  
Blogger knitspot anne said...

great socks and i love that you made them your own!

10:13 AM  
Blogger maritza said...

Those are gorgeous! What a lucky Sock Pal!

10:49 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

I think a great prize would be some socks. Just kidding. How about some copies of the fiberlicious prints you've been shooting? Those are gorgeous and I'd love to see them on my walls!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Fantastic! You have one very lucky pal.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They came out beautifully! I just finished some socks that grew alarmingly when I put them in the bath...I'm praying that they shrink up a little in drying, since they're samples and I know the photographer doesn't want to track down a model with enormous feet. (Plus I'd have to seriously rethink the pattern!) You've got one lucky sock pal!

1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lucky sockapalooza pal to get these socks, which are gorgeous. Nice job...knitting the pair.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, they match!!!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, a finished pair! Wonders never cease. excellent job.

3:44 PM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

They look wonderful! I really love the lacey cuffs. Your sock pal is a luck woman!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the socks go so well with your shoes. so pretty.

7:57 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Wowza - I love these socks - they are so vibrant. Awesome job, lucky pal!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

I love them!
What a great idea, that purl gutter is.

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pal will love them! Nice job.

6:03 PM  
Blogger jen said...

They are real beauties! Love the colour and it complements the pattern well. Wish I was your pal!

9:29 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Love them! Congrats on finishing two matching socks!

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home