Sunday, September 02, 2007

Block away, black sheep!


Yes, friends, you heard correctly. I used the word "block" in a knitterly context. Which means --you guessed it!-- I am actually approaching a --wait for it...wait for it-- finished object. By my calculations, the last finished object the readers of this blog witnessed was on July 12. Okay, okay, not so long ago, right? Oh, wait. Those were the Sockapalooza socks, which had a ... very firm deadline. And so what if the last sweater I finished was on November 12 of last year? I am averaging a finished knit sweater per year. Not... SO... bad... right? Well, the requisite finished sweater of 2007 is blocking! Or most of it is, at least. There might still be a hood and button band left to knit. Mere formalities.

And what made this blocking experience all the more exciting, besides the actual *finishing* of something? I got to use my awesome, awesome new pincushion handmade by the fabulous Maritza. I really bought it (from her Etsy shop, check it out here!) because I've been dreaming up this fantasy lately in which I learn how to make quilts and sew. And, well, one would presumably need a pincushion for that. For now, I'll have to be satisfied using it to block --once again, with feeling!-- FINISHED knit things. The quilt-making will come in due time, once I figure out how to finish my knit things more frequently than once a year.


"Hi, I'm a big blob of Yorkshire tweed. The rest of me is blocking away, having become a finished Central Park Hoodie. I am no longer the black sheep of the unfinished objects pile. I can't wait to become a hood and button band!"

Yes, my stray balls of yarn HAVE acquired voices of their own. What?

Up next: a new sock finds its way onto my knitting needles. New. Sock. As in those mateless, single socks remain... well, mateless.

Labels: ,

30 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I can't wait to see your central park hoodie! It is well worth the wait for a sweater a year if it's the central park hoodie!

Can't wait to see your newest sock! :)

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh.... can't wait!

11:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the finished result. I have the CPH in my Ravelry queue and I have some Yorkshire Tweed Aran in my stash waiting for a project. How well did the yarn work for this?

By the way, reading your blog has led to two completed orphan socks and a third that's on the needles.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

For some reason, reading your blog title put that Salt 'n Peppa song, Push It, in my head. Only, you know, with "block it" in place of the titular lyrics.

Block it. Block it GOOD.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

good for you! love the pin cushion (maritza is so talented). can't wait to see the central park hoodie. it seems like everyone i know who knits that one takes forever to finish it. it seems fated to be the forever WIP--so i'm glad to see one almost finished. very nice.

12:05 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Katie bar the kitchen door--Megan has finished a sweater!!! Congrats, can't wait to see it.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

A finished object? What is this thing you speak of? I certainly haven't seen any around my house in months. I thought they were extinct :)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Hooray! That yarn looks like a guarantee that it will be a wearable sweater. I can't wait to see it!

12:54 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

ooh, exciting!

i can't wait to see your cph, i bet it's gonna be cute on you!

1:54 PM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

Ah, you could start a CPH revolution and make it the "it" sweater to knit this year as well. I just cast on for a sweater and realized that my last completed on was sadly about 18 months ago. UGH! Can't wait to see CPH in all its glory. Have fun blocking!

2:01 PM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

Yay! I can't wait to see your CPH--I love that color in the Yorkshire Tweed! Now you will have a freshly finished cardigan just in time for fall. You timed it this way on purpose, right?

2:13 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

I've been having sewing fantasies too. Only they involve lots of purses and bags. Mmm. Fabric.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ie! Love those!

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sewing fantasies - heh! And quilts too, mind you! :)

The CPH has been on my TO DO list since the day I first laid eyes on it and has now developed into a... FANTASY! Thanks, M. :)

4:50 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Oooo, ooooo! I can't wait to see it! I love tweedy hoodies!

4:51 PM  
Blogger maritza said...

Oh yay! So happy to see the pin cushion put to good use. :)
Can't wait to see your CPH. And give me a shout whenever you're in Cambridge.

7:06 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Oh, but why? Now I feel guilty about my 1" of CPH sitting in a bag somewhere...

Hurry up! I wanna see. :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Blocking! The anticipation is killing me over here! :)

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! for Central Park Hoodie!!! Can't wait to see what it looks like, um, when it's actually finished being knit... ;0)
Love the pincushion too. Hooray for too many crafting fantasies and not enough time to do them! Um, maybe not hooray for this one, but YAY! for crafts.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

So maybe what I need to learn how to sew is one of Maritza's pin cushions!! Hmmm.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Great pincushion! Has anyone told you quilting fabric is like yarn? Your stash will grow and grow... Can't wait to see the CPH!

10:16 AM  
Blogger aija said...

Can't wait!! I looove your pincushion :)

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your pin cushion is SO cute. Can't wait to see your finished CPH!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this looks like the perfect color for a central park hoodie.

yeah, i love the blocking days too.

1:03 PM  
Blogger christine (threedogknits) said...

CPH is in my Ravelry queue. A sweater a year sounds good. I haven't knit a sweater yet - I'm still obsessed with socks. That's a good color for CPH.

2:45 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

woo hoo!! for FOs! Congrats! Can't wait to see your CPH.

5:07 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Well done - nothing like an FO to give you a lift! Can't wait to see it - gotta love that Rowan - still working on Juno - Pin cushion is lovely -

8:42 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

How exciting! Looking forward to seeing the SWEATER (with hood!--that's extra points right there) FO.

I finished one sock of a gift pair, and started a new sock...for me... I blame you for this Megan. Will I ever knit two socks of a pair in a row again? You are an evil influence.

10:07 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I think I've probably gone just as long without a FO! Can't wait to see it all done!

8:13 AM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

I'll be on the look out for you, wandering the streets of Philly with mismatched handknit socks.

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home