Monday, October 23, 2006

Terracotta: Beautiful Pottery and a New Project.

My mom recently sent me an awesome new piece of handmade pottery (I collect it, ya know!), and it's a really nice, unique piece. It is apparently a dip or salsa holder that fits into a bottom piece that can be filled with warm or cold water, depending on whether you want your dip or salsa to stay warm or cold. It's really cool, and it will certainly come in handy when we have our beer-tasting party. Or any party, really. I love it.





Along with the pottery, came 10 hanks of beautiful Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed yarn in a terracotta-rust-like color, which my mom has had stashed in her closet for a long while and which I told her to send to me so that I could knit her something great out of it. So, there's a new project in my queue: the lovely Aud sweater from the Viking Knits Collection by Elsebeth Lavold. I'm excited about finally getting to knit something for my mom. She's an amazing knitter who has been knitting since she was 5 or 6, but within the past few years she's shifted from a sweater and afghan knitter to a sock knitter. She knit her first pair of socks for me (see them here), and ever since she learned how to knit socks she hasn't stopped. Thus, the Silky Tweed has not seen daylight for a couple of years now, and I'm interceding on its behalf so that it can become something. I am going to try to get some of my projects done precipitately (or as precipitately as I possibly can as a grad student who is teaching this year) so that I can get this one going. It is going to be a beautiful sweater, if I do say so myself.



Detail of the gorgeous color.


Beautiful terracotta of two kinds.


Happy October, everyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I love all of those Viking knits. Cable-y goodness.

8:27 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Wow! What a nice fibery treat that is from your mom! I can't wait to see you knit that Silky Tweed!

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many yummy things in this post!

10:43 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That is a nice color -- I've been really attracted to deep reds lately.

Also: hi! Nice blog you've got here.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home