Sunday, October 01, 2006

Socktoberfest!

...has arrived! And, while I have not cast on any new socks *yet*, I have been doing some planning for the month devoted to sockery. First, I should preface by admitting that I have limited experience with knitting socks. In fact, I have yet to finish knitting a complete pair of socks. I have knit two whole socks thus far in my knitting career, but neither yet have their mates.

This month, being Socktober, will hopefully inspire me to finish the two pairs of socks I've started and encourage me to attempt some more socks. My first goal of Socktoberfest is to finish Michael's Banker Socks. I have just the foot gussett left of the second sock, so I foresee a long-overdue FO (and a happy boy with warm feet!) in the near future.

I have also been collecting a number of sock patterns in my *Future Projects* side bar, and I am eager to try some of these out. I am especially interested in attempting the Pomatomus pattern after seeing those recently completed by Elli. I've also been inspired by january one's Socks that Rock knee-highs (scroll down through her August 2006 archives). Way fantastic! I'm not sure I could pull off the knee-high look, but I wanna try it! I am also particularly fond of Baudelaire and Hedera. And dare I admit that I've not knit the star sock of knitblogland, the knitters' *secret handshake*, if you will... Grumperina's Jaywalker? So, there are some decisions to be made, here.

In the fiber department, I have made some recent Socktoberfest-related purchases... hurdling toward me through the mail system at this very moment are: 1 big skein of Socks that Rock in Lemongrass and some Sundara somwhat solid sock yarn in "Grey over Periwinkle" .

So, I've got all the makings for a fine Socktoberfest féte... I just have to settle on a new sock project. I am all decisioned out these days... I need suggestions! Any ideas for my Socktoberfest socks??

7 Comments:

Blogger Punkin said...

Suggestions? Okay, lets see if the gray cells are working.... um, nope. But you have some great ideas. Jaywalker and Pomatomus (sp?) are good choices and so are the others. Not much help am I...

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what? no tweed? ;)

all of the sock patterns you mentioned are great. one pattern that i've had my eye on but haven't tried yet: elfine socks found here http://autoscopia.com/amelia/assets/elfinesocks.pdf

3:59 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

tani,
Actually, I have some Rowan Yorkshire tweed 4 ply that I have had ear-marked for making the Lace Knee Highs from IK Winter 2004... was making a sad attempt at putting a stop to my tweed lunacy by *not* knitting these for Socktoberfest, but... weeellll... no promises on that one just yet.

4:08 PM  
Blogger ShannieKnitChic said...

I think you should do either the Baudelaire or Hedera socks. I want to do those, too. I really like the Child's First Sock pattern from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. I see you added Peace Fleece to your yarn list...that is such great yarn! That is the yarn I am using for my Cabled Hoodie...in Grassroots. It is nice yarn!

7:05 PM  
Blogger ShannieKnitChic said...

I just realized how rambling on I sounded...just got my hair cut, very short! Michael is going to have to get used to it!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BRRRRRRR my feet are cold. I do so wish that I had warm finished socks to wear, but all I have to wear are promises and assurances. They make my teeth chatter.

4:11 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Brat. Soon, I assure you. :o)

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home