Saturday, October 28, 2006

A Postscript.

I had every intention of posting a finished lemongrass pomatomus almost-knee-high #1 yesterday, and I just couldn't get it done in time for a timely post. So I broke down and posted the "So Close" post [see below]. So I have a finished pomatomus-minus-the toe. I still have a goodly amount of the first skein of STR, but by NO means enough for the second pair, obviously. But all is well! Because I have a second skein on its way, so there is no possibility of a mishap of not enough yarn to finish these socks. And, as it stands, I decided that I couldn't possibly make these pomatomi into knee-highs half-way into the knit; that would have required some shaping at the top section to accomodate calves, and I was too far into the sock to add any in. Not to mention the fact that I am a novice sock-knitter, so adding shape into this pattern probably would have been less-than-successful for me. So, I simply added another entire pattern repeat into the body of the sock, making an *almost* knee-high. It's a nice addition, I think, because I am using the medium weight STR, so the sock is a little on the chunky side, and the added length takes away some of that *clog sock* character. In toto, these socks will likely require approximately one and a half skeins of STR, so in hindsight, it was a little wasteful of me to lengthen the body of the sock. However, I am already brainstorming how I might combine the remains of the lemongrass STR with something else and make a super-cool striped sock, or something. Very little in the way of fiber goes to waste around here, thanks to my anti-salary *cough* grad student stipend.

A special thanks to Elli for her immediate concern for the unfinished state-of-sock.

4 Comments:

Blogger ShannieKnitChic said...

Very nice sock, Meg! I love it! Love Ya!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just found your blog...anyone who has an orange tabby, drinks punkin ale AND collects pottery has to be added to my knitblog list! :)
it is always fun to find a knitter with similar interests..although i'm much older, not an archaeologist, and my tabby is really chubby and only has one eye...well you know what i mean.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

OK, so it is two skeins. I am always so baffled by all those people who have a giant collection of single skeins of STR. I guess that would work for me if I wanted anklets....but I don't.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Tyson H said...

Thankss for the post

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home