Sunday, October 29, 2006

A Milestone, or, A Finished Pomatomus.*

My arduous journey with the lemongrass STR is complete... or... half way done. There will be a short delay on the second pomatomus as I need an intermission from this chart-intensive pattern. I am happy with the result, however, so I will definitely want to get the second pom going before too long. There is no question that I will knit this pattern again, though it will likely be with a solid or somewhat solid colorway and on smaller needles.

In the meantime, I have turned my attention to the second sock ambition that I had originally devised for Socktoberféte activities... the porphura Hedera.**


Lovely texture and stitch pattern.


And some preparation for my mom's Silky Tweed Aud sweater (along with some necessary movie re-watchin').

Have a lovely Sunday evening, all.


*Okay, I know I have posted the progress of this one sock excessively, perhaps, so I promise not to post about it again until I have a finished mate for it.

**porphura (πορΦυρα): ancient Greek derivative for the word "purple;" denoting mollusks that yielded a purply-blue dye that was used to color garments, which, in later times, became commonly known as "imperial purple" (especially during the Roman Empire) and was the symbolic color for royalty (and still is). The Phoenicians (those Philistines!) were the first to process the hexaplex trunculus (otherwise known as the murex) and extract the purply dye from its hypobranchial gland. Porphura Hedera has a nice ring to these nerd-ears, much as the murex-y color has on my nerd-eyes.

1 Comments:

Blogger insaknitty said...

ooh! your pomo is really pretty! did you make it longer than the pattern says?

good luck on its mate! as for my progress, I've started a jaywalker... haha! I am in awe of the knitters who can cast one immediately for sock #2, aren't you? :)

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home