Sunday, December 03, 2006

Philistine-hued distractions.


As everyone in my daily blog reading whips through their holiday knits with zeal and cheer, I have been feeling distracted lately by my knits. Since finishing my Inky Blanket Cardigan and Salina, I've been struggling with decisions for casting on new projects. I've met with little success...as can only be measured these days by the Cara Enthusiasm Test (You don't like your new knit *this* much? Then stop, reconsider, and try something else!).

I really, truly wanted to participate in a mini-Demi-KAL with Ashley, but things just aren't working out accordingly for that. Demi, as Ashley so kindly pointed out, involves commitment, patience, a photocopier, some more commitment, some highlighters, and lots more patience. I cast on the back panel of my Demi, worked a few rows, realized that I'd forgotten to work the wrong side purls in twisted stitch, and ripped it out. A few days later, I cast on a sleeve, which seemed far less daunting than the back panel, worked about 15 rows of the twisted ribbing - managing to work the twisted stitches correctly this time - and put the thing down. Those darned charts are just not what a brain fried by the incessant daytime pressures of preparing for prelim exams and teaching a class full of needy undergrads how to research and write 10-page papers on the side needs at the end of the day. I'm excited about the prospect of knitting Demi - say, sometime in early summer - after prelims have been checked off the ol' To Do list. Right now, easy, boring knits = fun, relaxing time. Plus, I am having serious commitment issues with casting on a big project, knowing that I leave in exactly two weeks for the Land O' Sand. (Sadly, there's precious little time for knitting built into archaeological projects).

My newest distraction comes in the form of this awesome custom "Philistine" sock yarn dyed especially for me by the lovely Samantha of sKNITches fame. It's quite fabulous, if you ask me. There's just the small matter of deciding what fabulous thing to do with it. It's a self-striping colorway, so my initial thought was knee socks! Awesome, stripy Philistine knee socks! (Especially since my first vision for knee socks came too late for the proper calf-shaping to be built in). Now I'm even thinking along the lines of Jaywalker knee socks! But I'm not sure if I have the necessary brain power these days to figure out how to correctly build in calf-shaping into the Jaywalker pattern. A project involving round after round after round of self-striping stockinette magic sounds fantastically tantalizing at the moment.

My other distraction of late comes in the form of sudsy, skin soothing, aromatherapeutic-goodness. Handmade in small batches by yours truly and her mom.

I foresee a new Esty store on the horizon...

Have a happy Sunday, all!

24 Comments:

Blogger Carson said...

Demi's tres jolie but yeah I can sympathise.
I just don't know whether I would be ready to deal with that charting as my..you know...hobby activity.
And the Qatar thing..that part of the world is truly weird. I don't know where to start..it's like living in a construction site on the moon really.
Very bizarre.
I hope there's going to be some other women in your UAE contingent so you can all stick together for moral support..I hear that the UAE is a lot less liberal than Qatar and it can be difficult.

I've known a few people who have gone on digs to the Southern Meditteranean and loved it. (I've sometimes entertained a pipe-dream of joining a dig to do the drawings).

6:16 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

Demi's tres jolie but yeah I can sympathise.
I just don't know whether I would be ready to deal with that charting as my..you know...hobby activity.
And the Qatar thing..that part of the world is truly weird. I don't know where to start..it's like living in a construction site on the moon really.
Very bizarre.
I hope there's going to be some other women in your UAE contingent so you can all stick together for moral support..I hear that the UAE is a lot less liberal than Qatar and it can be difficult.

I've known a few people who have gone on digs to the Southern Meditteranean and loved it. (I've sometimes entertained a pipe-dream of joining a dig to do the drawings).

6:17 PM  
Blogger ShannieKnitChic said...

That yarn is great! I can't wait to see what you make with it. As for Demi, I am plundering on with the Debbie bliss...I have made it through the first 40 rows, one pattern repeat...almost...and I have had a few hard times with it...but I am addicted! I know you will try it one day and will succeed, and you are right, it is not a project to work on and put down for a while...I can't believe it is almost time for your dig! Love ya!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

The yarn! It matches the needlecase! WANT.

Re: Demi, I'm knitting one row and then walking away because my brain is full at this point, then trying another row hours later. It's definitely vacation knitting.

And people--this is soap that you want. I know cause I have some.

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. I tend to go a bit overboard don't I? But it's true - if you don't LOVE what you're knitting then why knit it? I'm still loving my sweater, by the way. Hope you find something you love soon too. The yarn is lovely - very inspiring.

7:24 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I am feeling the self-striping stockinette sock love myself. When you aren't feeling particularly ambitious, it's just the way to go. Instead of doing a 4th stockinette pair in a row, I went a little crazy with the cheese whiz and threw in a beaded rib! Phew! Somebody stop me!

Loving the soaps. So pretty with that yarn. Color me seriously jealous.

8:03 PM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

*chants*KNEE SOCKS KNEE SOCKS!!!
ohhh I absolutely love Philistine and knee socks would be peeerfect for it!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

those soaps are gorgeous! can't wait to see the sock yarn knit up. when is someone going to name a colorway after me, i wanna know :)

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, add me to the knee-socks list. And the soap list. x

5:55 AM  
Blogger Allegra said...

Oooh, great sKNITches colorway!!! I'm going to have to have her custom dye me something too!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Beautiful yarn! Knee socks would be great!

I totally agree. I dont' have enough time to knit as it is. Everything I knit I try to love as I go - every moment spent knitting should be joyous!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Laura B said...

That yarn is beautiful! How about modified jaywalker kneesocks?

11:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calf shaping on the JW... I think I'd add the extra stitches between pattern repeats (between the two k-f/b, perhaps). Messing with the length of the stitch pattern might be much more pretty, but trickier. And the undergrads just need a little tough love (as always).

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you on Demi! I went as far as photocopying the pattern and had to take a break. Just looking at the chart is scary!

Such delicious yarn and soaps! Definitely need an etsy store!

12:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your colorway is gorgeous! And love the soaps-what are the scents?

1:03 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Wow, that's a great mix of colors! Have fun in the UAE!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Gorgeous Knitting Philistine colorway!!!! It'll make wonderful kneesocks. And from reading your comments I see you've had advise from the designer herself on how to work the calf increases. I don't think it gets any better than that!
Oh, and that soap thing, mmmmmm, now I've got to fight off another obsession! They look fabulous.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Art & Disorder said...

Hi!os European has for habit to tricĂ´tar half, this has despertado me to learn, however meeting reviewed here that teaches step by step for I did not aprender.Seu blog is very well.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Art & Disorder said...

You have wonderful photos.BRASIL

8:31 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

I hear you about loving what you knit!! I am so about that!!!!! :)

That colorway is really amazing! I needs to get me some of that stuff!

Please let us know if you open an etsy shop! Your soap looks fantastic & there is nothing that I like more that supporting indie shops!

12:22 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

totally fabulous colorway. and i agree, it screams knee socks.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy yummy soap!!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn is adorable. I'm so jealous!

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I add my voice to the chant for knee socks!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home