Sunday, November 12, 2006

Finished, or, Salina in a Shower of Ginko Leaves.



Finished: Salina Sweater by Kim Hargreaves
Pattern: Rowan Vintage Knits
Fiber: Rowan Felted Tweed (7 balls of 159 "Carbon")
Size: 38''/97 cm
Needles: sizes 3 and 5 Addi Turbo circs
Date Started: 7 September 2006
Date Completed: 12 November 2006
Modifications: None
Notes: I came very, very, VERY close to running out of yarn during this knit. I got down to knitting the cuffs and collar, and, having finished the two cuffs, I ran out of yarn when going back to finish the collar. I had to unravel my swatch (which was good sized, approx. 8x8" square), so I managed to squeak by with enough yarn to finish the collar and seam the sweater together. I would like to note, however, that I knit the size large, which called for 7 balls of yarn, and the x-large also calls for 7 balls, and I'm willing to bet that anyone knitting an x-large is *very* likely to need 8 balls, instead of 7.



I absolutely heart this sweater. The pattern is very easy, and, for some reason, I didn't mind the endless stockinette...I'm betting that it has something to do with the awesome-amazingness I feel when knitting with Felted Tweed. I love Felted Tweed a whole heckuva-lot. It's fluffy, squishy and smooth, with few to no twiggy organic bits, and the colors are amazing! The colorway I used, Carbon, is so nice and subtle. It's a beautiful charcoal grey, but it has burnt orange and periwinkle flecks in it - very nice. Colors that will be right at home in my wardrobe.



As always, the details in a sweater pattern are what get me excited about the knit. And there's no shortage of artful details on this sweater. The moss-stitched band of ribbing along the lower body is quite nice, and the moss-stitched sleeve cuffs and collar are super-pretty and eye-catching. And the split neck and placket for buttons is also a great (and functional!) detail. And I love the way the cute little shell buttons I chose look! They're very glinty in person.





The shaping built into the pattern is really nice, as well. I wanted to avoid knitting a shapeless bag at all costs, and I chose this pattern because it looked well-shaped, and, it turns out, it is. There's few things more pleasing than a perfect-fitting sweater for Fall. I'll be wearing the heck out of this one! (And will probably be knitting it again).



Look how well it works for keeping me warm and stylish while doing some early morning frolicking in ginko-leaf-heaven!



I couldn't have found a more gorgeous street this morning...and a mere block from my apartment. What a beautiful morning. Which, as it happened, was followed by a persistent and cold, bleary rain that didn't let up for the rest of the day. Inconvenience for some, perfect weather for knitting bliss.



And, as always, Michael wielded the camera with patience and brilliance.

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your photo shoots! I need to remember that several action shots are far better than one or two boring standing-still shots - our FOs deserve no less!

10:38 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Look at all those gorgeous gingko leaves! Wait -- I mean, check out that fabulous sweater! Great FO. You have really tempted me with the Felted Tweed too.

10:41 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Hey -your Salina looks so great! Great inspiration to get seaming on mine. Love that Felted Tweed!!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Oh how fantastic!!! Salina looks amazing on you! It makes me excited about the prospect of starting one this winter!!

How funny we both used leaves as a backdrop for FO's today!!

11:23 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Oh how fantastic!!! Salina looks amazing on you! It makes me excited about the prospect of starting one this winter!!

How funny we both used leaves as a backdrop for FO's today!!

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Salina looks great! Your pictures all make me want to move to your town. Congrats on a fab fall sweater.

11:27 PM  
Blogger ShannieKnitChic said...

Love the sweater, sis! I was so inspired by these sweaters that I bought the book. I want to make Demi! The cabley sweater that I *was* going to make is super tough, and it has a major mistake in the pattern. Mom and I are going to figure out how to write out the pattern so I don't have to constantly look at a chart. Anyway, the leaves are gorgeous in the photos, same colors as the tweedy yellowy-greeny yarn I am using...I decided to knit the Myrtle sweater from Noro, this yarn is the same gauge. Love Ya!

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great Philly FO shoot! You make me *almost* homesick. ;-)

The sweater looks great. You're just churning out the FOs aren't you?

7:20 AM  
Blogger Terhi said...

Absolutely gorgeous, both Salina and Blanket Cardi! I love Felted Tweed too, so I know what you're talking about. :-)

Also, thank you for your sweet words about my socks! (I couldn't find your email address, hope you don't mind me thanking you here.)

7:54 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Gorgeous! And makes me want to be in Philly. And knit with Felted Tweed.

Two new sweaters in a week....nice!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I'm visiting from Tweeding Along and I have to say your sweater is beautiful. I love the yarn, pattern, buttons and the way it fits you! I just bought 10 skeins of felted tweed and now I can't wait to use it!!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photo's! I love Ginko leaves. My parents have a Ginko tree in their backyard. The sweater is really nice. When you use beautifull yarn, you don't need to use an intricate pattern to get awsome results. Have fun with the sweater!
greatings from Holland

10:51 AM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Very, very nice! You're right, the details are lovely. I'm a sucker for moss stitch. So glad that you're pleased with it, it looks great on you.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Fantastic!! I've got to stop reading your blog. Your finised sweaters keep distracting me from the projects I'm supposed to working on. Now I want to run out and buy some felted tweed! Must resist, must resist. . .

2:30 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

Wowzee! Wowzee! Great sweater. Great photo shoot. And those leaves!! I'm living now in the Southwest, so seeing "real" autumn leaves makes me homesick. Thanks kindly for sharing the beauty of your work and your city.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Does that make two sweaters in a row? Wow. And they both look great, too :)

7:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

me too..totally agree with everyone. your photos and the finished salina is amazing. i think i'm tempted again.

11:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frickin' gorgeous! I heart it too!!

10:41 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Gorgeous!! Salina is my favorite knit of all time and that Felted Tweed - don't even get me started. Looks fabulous on you!! I'm so jealous about your DPN needle case too by the way - that Ashley is one smart cookie.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup - I'm with the other commenters - Salina looks fantastic, great knitting and Michael sure knows his stuff! x

3:19 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Thanks for your comment on my almost completed Salina! I don't know about you but I feel like I'm a little late comming to the game... like 2 years. But hey, Salina is a classic eh?

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! Love the photo shoot -- I was probably kicking leaves along the same alleys when I was in Philly last weekend. It's such a photographic city.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! I have that one started somewhere... I should dig it out and finish it.

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home