Wednesday, November 29, 2006

In which my terrific Thanksgiving holiday has rendered me sick and with little knitting to show for having had an entire week off.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! (Yes, yes, I'm a little late on the well-wishing, I know.) My Georgia Thanksgiving turned out to be great fun, especially since the Boy came along with me and met the family. Phew! A week in Atlanta flew by all lickety-split and I've been left adaze with a newly acquired cold, a week's worth of blogs to read (wow, they sure add up quickly!), a ton of students' emails to respond to, and a catch-up blog to post. So here 'tis - the catch-up post about my big time Thanksgiving fun in Georgia, much of which M and I spent sight-seeing and galavanting around the city and burbs, with me showing him all of the places that impacted my childhood and early adulthood (having grown up in Atlanta and having gotten my undergrad degree from the University of Georgia). As I mentioned just a few words back, I've been floored with a pretty severe cold/sinus infection, so my catch-up post is brought to you in photographic-montage form pared down to the interesting highlights, as thoughts and sentences are being formed at a significantly sluggardly pace (thanks for the much-needed sedation, Nyquil, my sweet, sweet friend in gel-cap form).

Highlight no. 1: The High Museum of Art.


The Louvre Atlanta exhibit was pretty cool.


The High has an excellent collection of Contemporary art to ponder.


Sunny atrium in the High.


Awesome Alexander Calder installation.


Rodin statue and gorgeous fall colors at the High.

Highlight no. 2: The Grit.
My favoritest restaurant ever. Pure vegetarian-hipster heaven. I do miss the days when I could eat here any (and every!) day I pleased.





Highlight no. 3: My sweet old orange house in Addieville.
I lived in this teensy, single-room house during my undergrad years in Athens. Did I mention it's a mere block from The Grit? Ah, perfection.



Highlight no. 4: Downtown Athens and shopping at my favorite Downtown Athens store, Helix.




Mmmm...drool-worthy set of danica expresso cups.

Highlight no. 5: The Fountain.
Awesome. Did not disappoint in the least. No rants or overlong criticisms about this one.

Highlight no. 6: Frolicking in beautiful Georgia fall weather.
Two Falls in one year...sweet! We got to Georgia right when all of the leaves had fallen off the trees in Philly. How nice to play for a week in more beautiful Fall weather!









M and I had so much fun running around seeing things that I forgot to knit while on vacation... I did get the first Hedera finished and started the second one, but the progress is too scant to bother showing. I should have some awesome purply Hederas to show off soon, though! And while I didn't have much time to knit this past week, I was able to visit a new knitting store in Atlanta called Knitch (thanks for the heads-up on that one, Leah!). It's an awesome, awesome store... one of those rare yarn stores that is actually a cool, comfortable place to sit and knit. Of course, I didn't have time to sit and knit, but what a lovely place to do so! I managed to survive the store without emptying my wallet (boy, did I ever show restraint!), but I did get a few knitterly souveniers that I can't wait to put to good use!



Now it's off to nurse my cold and catch up on my work...and resume reading all of your awesome blogs ~ can't wait to see what everyone has been up to!

(Wow, this must be the most non-Thanksgiving-y blog post ever... I swear I hung out with family and ate pie and vegetarian stuffing 'til I nearly burst!)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! Love the color of the trekking yarn.

8:52 PM  
Blogger jen said...

I enjoyed your post. You seem to have a lot of great memories in Atlanta. Hope you feel better.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Yay for two falls...and the orange house! Looks like something that would fit right in in Austin.

Hope the Nyquil is not giving you crazy hallucinogenic nightmares (not that I would know anything about that).

12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee - just add some shots from Flicker Bar or the Manhattan and I'm right there with you. I was just explaining to John that there's a specific lyric in a song that always makes me think of walking by Helix. Did you have a Grit meal card?

8:32 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I am blogging on sudafed now myself after spending my thanksgiving in florida with two bronchial kids.

There is something about getting away from Philly -- just when you need it. The drab of late fall, the chill of the end of winter...I went to Atlanta last March, it is was so rejuvenating to smell spring in the air.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect vacation. Now I want to visit Georgia. Welcome back and I hope your cold goes away soon.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay for orange houses!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I love that orange house!!! Some days I'd like a little one room orange house of my own. I'd drink tea and knit all day, and then maybe I'd go out and kick up some of those pretty fall leaves!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I love that orange house!!! Some days I'd like a little one room orange house of my own. I'd drink tea and knit all day, and then maybe I'd go out and kick up some of those pretty fall leaves!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You wanted to get away from Philly and I want to get back :) The temperature here today hit 70. WTF, Tennessee? This is not almost-December weather.

Glad you had a good break in spite of the illness!

8:28 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

I sympathize with you about the cold, as I too am bringing you this comment thanks to Nyquil and cough/sore throat lozenges.

At for Atlanta, the city looks great. I especially loved the orange house. That would be a perfect place for a student to start out in-- :)

Hope you (and I) feel better soon...

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos - and that orange house is awesome... x

4:49 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Wow! I just followed Cara's link to your blog, and what do I see? A picture of THE WORLD'S GREATEST RESTAURANT! After graduating and moving to Atlanta, I have to say that more than anything else in Athens, I miss the Grit. I dream about it sometimes, and never miss a chance to eat there when I'm in Athens!

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home