Sunday, January 28, 2007

WIP Up: In which I realize that I have a KNITTING blog and may not have been living up to appropriate content standards.



The archaeology extravaganza is forthcoming, I promise. However, in the process of perusing my own blog, I came to the realization that my last post to contain images of those certain pointy, stickish things and windy tails of strings of any kind was December 10th. Granted, it was an FO post (that's gotta count double, somehow, right?), but, wow, has the knitting content on this here KNITTING blog been sparse (read: nonexistent!) for over a month now. So, I have decided to rectify the situation with the following Sunday evening WIPs extravaganza!



Oooh...the cool, cool smokey blue-grey beauty. I've had my eye on this Cascade yarn for a good, long while, but had little inspiration (read: lacked any and all decisiveness) on what sweater I should make with it. Then, at some point in the past few days a light bulb went off in my head. The light bulb? The Rib and Cable Jacket à la Debbie Bliss. I've been swatching and experimenting, trying to figure out how to make the pattern, which calls for cotton or a cotton blend, yield to the wooly Cascade. It's taken a few tries, scrunched looks, ripping, retrying on smaller needles, etc. to finally have a happy beginning to a new sweater project.



I am in absolute love with the wintery color (Project Spectrum 2.0: check.) of the yarn, and I heart the consummate stitch definition of Cascade wool. I am also already in love with one certain detail of the Cable and Rib jacket: the sweet twisted ribs interspersed among the regular ribs of the back panel.



Next up: the sweater I've been promising to knit for my mom. A small step in the direction of progress has been made, past the declaration that it will be made. I've cast on a sleeve and have acclimated myself to the Silky Tweed, which I actually really like working with. It's much lighter and easier on the fingers than 100% wool. So, Aud it is. In that gorgeous reddish-orange tweed.



The Silky Tweed reminds me of the delicious, delicious tins of saffron that I brought back from the UAE.



The world's most expensive spice by weight. And one of the most beautiful.



My mom's Saffron Aud will be beautiful.



And perhaps there will be a small contribution from me to the Green Sock KAL (oh, how that Lolly keeps us all so busy!).



The very, very small amount of knitting I was able to squeeze in during my month in the UAE came in sock form. In Monkey form, to be exact (oh, how that Cookie A. keeps us all so busy!). Monkey with a lil' Sundara magic called Burgundy over Moss.



And, last but not least...



The black sheep of my WIPs...my Central Park Hoodie. Inching along ever so slowly. Some day I'll join the ranks...

Have a wonderful Sunday evening, all!

Labels: , , , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

Oh, now that Rib and Cable Jacket is going to be gorgeous! I have been on something of a Cascade 220 binge lately. It's like my new sock yarn; I can;t get enough.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh wow, I'm so envious that you've got all of these beautiful projects going!

What is the name of the Cascade color? I'm on a big of a gray kick right now, and I need exactly that color for a sweater I've been dreaming about for a year now.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That green sock yarn is to die for. I need some of those socks, for sure. Are the Murakami books current reading? Wind-Up Bird is so, so good, and I've got Kafka on my nightstand now, waiting its opportunity to be read.

9:18 PM  
Blogger VickeryKnits said...

I love your WIPs! The colors, the yarn choices, the patterns...I approve of all of the above!

9:47 PM  
Blogger jen said...

That Cascade IS beautiful! Looks like you've got lots of interesting knits keeping you busy! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart that you used "consummate" in describing the qualities of Cascade 220. You get a gold star for vocabulary. I love that wintery blue, too - it reminds me of the French Impressionist snow scenes. And it must be so satisfying to be able to switch over to the saffron Silky Wool for a jolt of hot color, or the green sock yarn for something more springlike. I'm envious!

12:39 AM  
Blogger Carson said...

Oooo...a whole jar of saffron??!!
and it looks so plump and moist compared to the dried out filaments that passes for the saffron I buy at the supermarket..how heavenly.
what other goodies did you bring back?

2:52 AM  
Blogger CelticCastOn said...

ohhh weee lots of projects!! Ypu're making me itch to cast on another.... but i'm been doing so well, must refrain from casting...on
I love them all!!
I must say I didn't know what saffron was until you said, does it taste like any other spice or is it in its own league???

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meg, I "Heart" my sweater. Thanks for posting the initial progress. The Silky Tweed will be perfect for Hotlanta Spring .... or Fall if it falls to the rear of your other WIP's. The saffron is beautiful too.
Bet you are cooking lots of yummy things with it.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

So much love that I don't even know where to strart, so I will limit myself to saying that I NEED to be more vigilant about getting some of Sundara's Somewhat Solid yarns. WHY am I always teaching when she updates the shop??

10:01 AM  
Blogger Allegra said...

All your WIPs look great! The saffron is beautiful. I am a big Murakami fan as well!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your wips are beautiful - I'm envious of your yarn choices (all my favourite colours).

I almost died when I saw the love professor-mobile. I wonder if he is a real professor? What would he teach? Scratch that, I don't want to know.

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So so many beautiful projects...knit, knit, knit! I love that Cascade you are using for the DB sweater, it's going to look awesome when you finish it. And that Sundara yarn looks deliscious.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Amazing WIPs! I love the Cascade yarn. It never disappoints.

I am so envious of all your saffron!

Great projects all round.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

that is the perfect yarn for monkey!

and that smokey colour... have you seen the lorna's laces solid in "pewter" - you may love it.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

lots of great stuff! that is a TON of saffron (well, not literally, but wow!) the color is such a great match! Love the twisted ribs - it adds that great little touch...it's nice to see Monkey in a semi-solid - the pattern is great!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Oh.... I love the saffron & yarn photo!!

I just bought a bag of silky tweed & I can't wait to work with it.

All your WIP's look amazing! I can't wait to see them morph into FO's! :)

3:18 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

it's a wonder how we do this to ourselves all this WIPs and not enough time to do it all... or is it not enough arms?

although i heart CPH, it's the Monkey that's getting me crave a banana. Good taste my friend (oh and that saffron probably tastes pretty good too)

7:07 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

I am officially in love with the color of that silky tweed, and it shows off those cables beautifully.

11:22 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

WOWZEE! WOWZEE! (Saw Borak too recently, I guess.) So many pretty things to look at, and you and I are in agreement with the love of the Cascade yarn (yum!). As for the saffron, I just made a chicken-fennel-saffron dish this past Sunday evening and it was soooooo good. One of my best dishes, ever. If you'd like the recipe, just let me know and I'll send it on. In the meantime, *NICE WIPS!*

11:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

The cascade is for a blue and gray striped version of the Hourglass sweater in Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I ordered some the other day, but sadly not the same color you have. I went with a more solid gray because, well, I'm frighteningly conservative in my yarn choices :)

Also, has the new blogger been weird for you? I used to get email addresses for a few of my commenters, but now that I've "upgraded" I get none. How annoying.

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your projects look great--you almost have as many going as I do!

Great photos, too!

9:15 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

I am in love with every one of your WIPs. Those colors are phenomenal. Even the grey for you cable rib has so much depth. Great choices!! I wish I could decide on something to cast on myself!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Lazuli said...

What pretty WIPs! I really love all those tweedy colors. The saffron is really beautiful, and matches your yarn so well!

Thanks for your visit to my blog!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I can't believe the amount of saffron you brought back! It's so beautiful - larger and firmer than saffron threads we can get here. And so vivid!

2:44 PM  
Blogger Big Alice said...

The saffron silky tweed looks delicious! The sweater will be gorgeous.
Murakami is one of my favorites - enjoy the books!

3:28 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

damn woman, you have so many fabulous projects going on. this post was a feast for the eyes.

8:54 PM  
Blogger jen said...

My oh my! You have some wonderful things on the go as well! That Cascade yarn is just beautiful! So far the ribbing is looking great with it. I have been watching everyone's progress on their CPH... yours looks like it will be a great addition to any wardrobe being the essential black tweed. Love the socks!

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Cookie's pattern were just made for the semi-solids. Love the yarn for Monkey.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the use of saffron and tea in this post--brilliant. Beautiful, too!

10:07 PM  
Blogger maritza said...

That's a nice bunch of WIPs! Love your knits. And I LOVE that photo of the saffron.
Funny coincidence, I recently received both The Wind-Up Bird Chronicles and Kafka on the Shore. I am currently in the middle of The Wind-Up Bird, with Kafka in cue for my next read.

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home