Thursday, February 08, 2007

In which Bitter McAngry knits something sweet.



Acting upon the sage advice of many of those that left me such helpful and appreciated comments on my debacle-ridden week (y'all know who you are, :::thanks!!:::), I laid the problem knit aside and found myself a good, cheerful distraction. I am still wrestling with whether to rip, leave, or ladder down to the mistake on my rib and cable deal. I am leaning toward just leaving it. I tried to ladder down a few rows and experiment with trying to fix just that rib, but, well, a combination of being a relatively unsavvy amateur knitter and being full of rage at the world at the moment, the experimenting didn't result in any miraculous fixes. I could definitely perform the appropriate surgery if I were fixing dropped stitches or plain knit or purl stitches, but backtracking from plain rib to twisted rib is a wee bit more than a mind full of pressing academic concerns can take at the moment. Thus, a new project has appeared in the place of the ornery one.



Enter this fantastic little bundle. I bought this on a whim from Hello Yarn not too long ago, with some bizzarro predilection for the sweet-and-cheery. It doesn't happen often. If it ain't gray or muted, it ain't going on my needles. I don't know what inspired me to want this particular handpainted beauty... I am firmly and categorically refuting any admission that it might be because I've been inspired by some upcoming holiday that I happen to find entirely fatuous. Perhaps I just needed a little happy on my needles. And, really, I feel like this has done the trick.



And what's more, I have learned a new skill! The picot edge. Wow, these socks are dripping saccharine. How entirely out of character for me, but so delightful! I'm using Adrian's Simple Sock pattern that came free with the yarn. This pattern is great for me, because not only have I had to learn how to do a picot edge, but I'll also be introduced to the short-row heel, which I've not yet attempted. One question: are the sweet little picot teeth supposed to look that much like coffee beans?



I'm also enjoying the irony of the pattern title. Simple Sock. The picot edge wasn't exactly the most simple thing I've done, and I'll definitely need more practice to perfect my method. This first try of mine isn't exactly of the unflared, streamlined variety, but it'll do for a first try.

As for the crapademics fiasco, while things have not been definitively resolved, it is looking like I'll be able to reschedule my exams for the last few weeks of August and my orals for the first week in September. Now, if I can just shake off this sense of failure... wait... wait... looking at my sweet saccharine socks... done!

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Liz K. said...

Well, it's nice to know you haven't lost your edge, even if you are knitting the sweetest socks ever. At least they aren't for a baby, because then they would be so wittle and teeny and cute you would just puke.

Glad to know all's not lost with the prelims. Paperwork fuck-ups are not failures.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

those are chock full of sugary sweetness! Like a handful of sweet tarts! i haven't tried a picot edge yet, but it looks so darn cute on yours!! Good choice to let the knit sit for a while. You don't want to knit angry!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of "soak" ... have you recieved my latest creation yet??? It should make you feel good to soak in the new "All Natural Mineral Bath Salt". Should be a great compliment to the soap!!
Love the picot edge. Looks like a fun project. You will have to teach me next time you come home.

3:11 PM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Mmmm...candy socks. They look edible!

3:21 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Very cheerful socks, and good medicine for crapademics, indeed!

My first PhD mentor died half-way through my third year. I had to switch labs and projects, so that meant 8 years to get my PhD. I learned to plan without having A PLAN. It's the secret to academic success. It will work out for you; I have no doubts.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had big plans to finish my phd in 3-4 yrs. I am now in year 6, enrolled part-time, three provinces away from my university, and I work 3/4 time. Not the game plan, but I'm happier this way.

LOVE the socks - ironically, I just worked my first picot edge on a hat I'm knitting for my mom. I love the cute little teeth/coffee beans.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

I just love a picot edge. It looks fabulous in those colors too!

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sock yarn was dyed to have have a picot edge...it is a perfect fit! Love the colors, they feel very vintage to me.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

Great post!
I can so relate to almost every point that I don't know where to start!
Am cheered by your learning to picot edge...that's coming up very soon for me too.
And the phd?..hang in there (sorry bout the cliche - I'm braindead) I am so glad Goat's phd is behind us now.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that things can be resolved with the prelims and the orals. Stupid f-ing paperwork deadlines. They are the plague of grad school.

Focus on the goodness of that sock.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Visualize the sock.
Be one with the sock.
Brush frequently so you don't get cavities from the sock.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Well, well I didn't need to add any sugar to my coffee this morning after seeing your sock! Out of chararacter yes, but whatever works. Pretty picots, and yes, it's okay that they look like coffee beans!

Hang in there!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Ok, I will confess to also being a girl with an edge who nonetheless likes her a good picot. Those socks are super-cute.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks ARE sugary sweet, I love them, and I don't usually like things with pinks; but that yarn knit into picot edge socks, I like!

10:40 AM  
Blogger maritza said...

Love the picot! Love the yarn.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow i love your yarn, such beautiful colours!
i think your picot edge looks really nice :0)

2:55 AM  
Blogger Christy said...

A little happy on the needles is definitely helpful in the winter. I got to wear my happy socks for the first time yesterday, and it was fun to look down at my happy toes all day.

1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home