Friday, August 25, 2006

I've adopted a new language. Rowanese.

I have a problem. It can be summed up quite laconically with a single word. Rowan. Perhaps, on second thought, two words are necessary to describe my affliction more precisely. Rowan. Tweed. I have morphed, over the past week, into a Rowan-Tweed-Obsessing-Shebeast. From where has this fanatical behavior emerged? I blame the onset of Fall. What better time to be knitting any and all Rowan patterns with any and all kinds of Rowan tweeds? I blame Kim Hargreaves for her amazing, must-have-now sweater patterns.

I also blame my discovery and recent acqusition of this book:
(that's Rowan Vintage Knits, also published as Rowan Vintage Style)


Since its appearance in my apartment, it has slowly taken over my life. It began with casual browsing...


... which soon turned into deliberate thumbing and pondering...


... and has since become dire, careful, detailed planning of which sweaters to make in which kinds of tweeds of which colorways. The choices! They must be decisive and well-calculated so that one does not end up with many tweed sweaters of the same color!

And my problem now follows me everywhere...

Kitchen.


Bedroom.


Livingroom.


Dare I admit it?

Of course, my Rowan-lust runs deeper than just the Vintage Knits book... there's the newly released Rowan 40, which contains these:


And then there's the back issues... Rowan 36, to be exact:

Oh boy.

And add insult to injury, I have discovered this amazing new device for viewing nearly-100% accurate yarn colorways... yarn.com. I've spent many an hour comparing yarn colorway swatches on numerous websites, and yarn.com has by far the most accurate colorway representations.
So now I can easily match patterns with fibers with colors, which leads to results such as these:




My life has reached an amazingly pathetic crecendo...
mmm... Rowan.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've found your life's work! :) Nothing pathetic about that.

Man, I am such a sucker for tweed.

7:56 PM  
Blogger ShannieKnitChic said...

It will be easy to buy for you for Christmas this year! You have some wonderful ideas for knitting...can't wait to see some fo's...your knitting is beautiful! ((HUGS)) We love you!

11:01 AM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

anne, Yeah, it's a shame that ol' PhD prelim work keeps interfering with my life's *true* calling--tweed adoration. Test knitting for Rowan, here
I come! :o)

3:23 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

sis,
yeah, I have more ideas than I know what to do with!! Too bad I don't have dollars to match! Can't wait for Christmas (wink)! Love to you all...

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My knitting stalled last year. Hoping to get back on the wagon soon- as soon as someone has time to give me some lessons. As for philly, I *plan* to apply to temple and some others for grad school.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah- my friend Sam is equally in love with Rowan. She made a lvoely butterfly dress from there, I believe.

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Rowan is beautiful ... but I just got some hand spun and dyed yarn at this awesome Art Festival in Grant Park (Atlanta) over the weekend. Can't wait to knit with it!!

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home