Monday, January 22, 2007

What is this blustery, sandless place?

HOME! My toes have been frozen since I stepped off of the plane, but I am oh-so happy to be back home, freakish neck-and-hand tan and all. And OH! The catching up I have to do...my bloglines widget is registering quadruple digits...I have something like 1,025 blog entries to read. Whoo! Endless, excellent reading for days and days to come! I am very much looking forward to reading/seeing what everyone has been knitting this past month while I've been desert-bound. As for me, I have tons of photos to share from my month in the UAE (archaeology-related photos and knitting news to follow in separate posts this week). A few of my favorite photos of the UAE are posted below. Enjoy and happy Monday, all!

The village of Mleiha (Emirate of Sharjah), where I lived.


Desert sands and shadow, Mleiha, Emirate of Sharjah.


Dubai Archaeological Museum, Old City, Emirate of Dubai.


Fujairah City Mosque, Emirate of Fujairah.


Gulf of Oman, Emirate of Fujairah.


Desert and mountain in Mleiha, Emirate of Sharjah.


Al Dhaid souk, Emirate of Sharjah.


Alley in Old City, Dubai, Emirate of Dubai.


Date palm garden protected by Arabian scarecrow, Wadi Hayl, Emirate of Fujairah.


Detail of Arabian scarecrow.


Desert caravan, Dubai, Emirate of Dubai.


Dune, Thuqaibah, Emirate of Sharjah.


Boat traffic on Dubai Creek, Emirate of Dubai.


Camel and baby, Mleiha desert, Emirate of Sharjah.


Camel herder, Mleiha desert, Emirate of Sharjah.


Islamic cemetery, Wadi Hayl, Emirate of Fujairah.


Moon and desert, Mleiha desert, Emirate of Sharjah (take that, Ansel Adams!).


Stay tuned...more to follow soon!

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger christine (threedogknits) said...

I'm a long time lurker; I think this is my first comment on your blog (which I love, BTW). Love the photos...that's a cool looking scarecrow. Welcome back!

8:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! You do know that it was warm the whole time you were away. It got cold, like, three days ago. ;-)

Hope you had a fabulous trip! Love the photos so far. Thanks for sharing!

8:17 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh, yay--when I saw your comment on my blog I was like "oooh, I hope we get pictures of camels soon!" Great photos!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Amazing photos-look forward to hearing more about your trip.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

welcome back! the photos are amazing - what a beautiful country!!!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger VickeryKnits said...

I want to travel there--it looks so beautiful! Welcome back!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Laura B said...

thanks for sharing your photos! looks like a great trip!

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos! I'm jealous you got to go to the UAE.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Welcome back! The photos are great!

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Great photos! And welcome back:)

11:54 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

Welcome back! Incredible pictures. I read a crazy article in Vanity Fair about Dubai--all about the man made islands and the indoor man made ski slopes. I don't suppose those are anywhere near the camels?

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Thanks for sharing your photographs, what great pictures!

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! So nice to see you again. Those pictures are fantastic--plus they make me feel warm on what is a decidedly blustery day here in New York, too. Glad the trip went well, and that you're back safe and sound. You didn't miss ALL that much . . .

12:51 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Welcome home! I have been so looking forward to camel pics!

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pics, what a unique place. Can't wait to see more

3:32 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Welcome back! Your photos are wonderful. I can't wait to hear more about your trip!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures!!! I can't wait to see more.

Welcome home!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Welcome back!! It sounds like your trip was really amazing! Thanks for sharing the photos!

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Your pictures are amazing--can't wait to hear more about your trip.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your pics are gorgeous. Makes me want to plan a trip!

4:19 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

Welcome home! And to echo all who have come before, "Nice photos!" Can't wait to see more...

8:55 AM  
Blogger B. said...

You have the coolest job ever! I wanted to be an archaeologist when I grew up...it didn't work out that way. But I sure envy those who can do that for a living!!!

Stunning photography too. I'm looking forward to more photos too.

Becky
http://knittygirlfun.blogspot.com

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!! You're back! x

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home