Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Finished: More cowlses than you can shake a stick at.

It started out innocently enough... see pretty cowlses, be inspired to knit cowlses. then see a cowl knit from sock yarn... and the perfect storm of cowlses and cowlses was released upon the knitting world.


The first cowl. Otherwise known as The Cowl that Instilled the Passion For Knitting Cowls.


Finished: Watery Cowl (click link for Ravelry info)
Pattern: Gloria Cowl by Orinda5
Fiber: 1 skein of Fleece Artist Somoko in Peridot, doubled
Size: 99 stitches around
Needles: size 7 16" circular needle
Date Started: April 2008
Date Completed: two days later in April 2008


I cannot lie--this was a shameless monkey see, monkey do act of knitting.


The second cowl. Once I realized that a single skein of sock yarn could be magically transformed into a glorious neckwarmer, there was really no stopping me. I'm certainly not limited in the way of sock yarn in the stash. So, off I went, knitting cowlses.


Finished: Mineral Cowl (click link for Ravelry info)
Pattern: Gloria Cowl by Orinda5
Fiber: 1 skein of Fleece Artist Cashlana in Mineral, doubled
Size: 99 stitches around
Needles: size 7 16" circular needle
Date Started: April 2008, directly proceeding the Watery Cowl
Date Completed: a mere two days after casting on


Oh, yes. Then there's the bulky style cowl. Again, I saw and had to have.

Finished: Dolores Park the First (click link for Ravelry info)
Pattern: Dolores Park by Parikha of sixoneseven
Fiber: half skein of Schaefer Yarn Esperanza
Size: one size fits all
Needles: size 13 16" circular needle
Date Started: April 2008
Date Completed: a few hours after starting it. Quickest FO ever.


And then came the culmination of cowlses: the realization that single sock knitting could be replaced by cowl knitting. Because what is a cowl? A sock leg knit on big ol' needles. Forget about the foot and heel business. Also, there is no second sock involved. Hello, most perfect way to use up some sock yarn from the stash (to make room for more, of course)! And the discovery that one could, if one wanted, transform all of one's favorite sock patterns into cowlses. Which, if you're me, gets you the Cowl of Kindness.


Finished: Cowl of Kindness (click link for Ravelry info)
Pattern: My own, derived from Chawne's Socks of Kindness pattern. See my Ravelry link for pattern details
Fiber: 1 skein of Handmaiden Casbah in Glacier, doubled
Size: 96 stitches around
Needles: size 8 16" circular needle
Date Started: April 2008
Date Completed: April 2008


Fair warning, dear readers: this is not the last of the cowls. No, indeed. Also, can you tell I don't leave home without my trusty jean jacket?

Up next: single sock (did you REALLY think I'd give them up for the cowlses, did you?) progress for E A R T H ...

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Bertha said...

I cast on for a cowl this weekend and am cowling as we speak. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the cowl swap on Ravelry. Thank you for your cowlspiration!

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so blame you for the Casbah Cowl I'm knitting right now. Blame blame blame.

11:24 AM  
Blogger margaux said...

Holy Cowl!! ;-) Love them all!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kim U said...

These are so pretty! I feel like I need to jump on the cowl train now. I've made some in the past and they're such fast projects. Throwing the whole "using pretty stock yarn from the stash" angle into the mix makes them pretty much perfect.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in awe of your productivity... they all look great.

Am I the only one who's actually kind of thankful for today's east-coast cold snap, because it gives me one more chance to wear a cowl before the season's over? ;)

11:50 AM  
Blogger Sarah / Blue Garter said...

Mmmm, doubled Casbah! The Watery Cowl looks extra soft and luscious, too. How practical a beastie is the cowl - all that neck warmth and no flappy ends to catch in your zipperses. I think maybe a bunch of people will get these for presents next winter, especially now that you've pointed out how much of my sock yarn stash I could use for them. Cowl on!

12:33 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

ahh.. all your cowl pics on flickr inspired me to cast on for one of my own. i'll never be able to compete with all these cuties!
i especially love the cowl of kindness!

12:48 PM  
Blogger maritza said...

Dude, you've got mad cowl going on there. Love 'em, especially that Cowl of Kindness. Beautiful stuff!

1:52 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, you've hit your stride for sure! I am eager to do Larissa Brown's 'Grassy', have you seen that one yet?

3:57 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

alert: it seems as if your cowls are breeding. it's springtime and love is in the air. you may want to think about separating them before this gets out of hand :)

but seriously, all of your cowls are beautiful! i can see this being all the rage in the fall, for sure. i'll have to set aside some yarn for a few myself.

4:03 PM  
Blogger maryse said...

i'm loving the cowls.

4:15 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Holy cowls batman! They are all gorgeous! This may be contagious...

7:03 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh those are so cozy looking. And this is definitely cowl weather -- you made them just in time to to catch the last few days of shitty weather.

And wanting to knit a cowl has made me realize how much my yarn stash sucks. Why do I not have any appropriate cowl yarn? Whyyy?

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, more ideas for that growing pile of sock yarn! Thanks! Love the Cowl of Kindness - very pretty.

9:33 PM  
Blogger dandelionpicker said...

I just love cowls! I haven't made too many, but I think they're just perfect! Yours are so cute!

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that you churned out so many cowls! The mineral one is my favorite, isn't that colorway the best? Any bandwagon that uses up sock yarn is a good idea in my book.

11:39 PM  
Blogger Cloudberry said...

They are great!
I love the Cowl of Kindness :)

1:33 AM  
Blogger nova said...

I will be knitting the cowlses like is it my job this weekend. 6 hours of flight time + 6 hours of car passeger time is a lot of cowl knitting. Thank you for for the sock yarn tip, seriously, I have a crap load and I am not going to be knitting that many socks.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Eeeeeeeeeexcellent.

(Insert Mr. Burnes'-type finger motion here.)

3:39 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

Oh!!!! I can double my sock yarn and make cowlses! Brilliant!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Lazuli said...

What pretty cowls! I mean, cowlses! I really like that last one with the zig-zag pattern. Lately I've been sucked in by the Land of Many Dishcloths, so I hear you on the "repeated concept" thing!...

11:40 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'm giggling at the quantity but now I want to knit one too. (I am such a follower ;-) )

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh drat! I am fed up with knitting second socks and wondering about cultivating some one legged friends. Then I see your cowl post and think YEAH! Now it's warm and sunny (well warm and sunny for the north of England anyway) and knitting cowls just doesn't seem right. I so love that cable one though .....

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to think what your next obsession might be. Will you be drowning in lace shawls?

8:27 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Holy crap that's a lot of cowlses - all great though!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Lovely cowlses...

Now I will have time to knit something up before Earth is over! Yay.

And use some sock yarn stash - double yay!

11:02 PM  
Blogger jess said...

wow, and here i just left a comment over at maritza's blog thinking it was cowl mania over *there*, and look what's going on over here! lovely, all :)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Katlyn said...

I love them!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home