Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Finished: Chevalier Mittens


Despite my batty need to cast on a million and one projects in order to sate my batty nerves through crunch studying for prelims, I appear to have discovered a new side to myself. The side that actually finishes some of the knitting projects that I begin... and in a timely manner, no less. Case in point: I got yer awesome chevalier mittens right here! (Actually, these are MY chevalier mittens, but you could always make yourself some... no seriously, you NEED some. Really, they're that awesome.)


Finished: Chevalier Mittens
Pattern: Chevalier Mittens designed by tikru aka MadeByMyself
Fiber: Rowan Yorkshire Tweed DK in "Skip" (sadly, discontinued)
Size: Women's hand-sized
Needles: size 4 DPNs
Date Started: November 2007
Date Completed: December 2007


I can't sing enough praises for this mitten pattern! The cable design is spectacular and the shaping and fit of the mittens are perfect. I like my mittens to fit snugly, and this pattern fills the bill and then some. Because they have long, tight cuffs, too, which I love. I foresee lots and lots of chevalier mittens in my future (especially since the boy has already espied them and wants some of his own).


I also like my mittens to have a dense, tightly knit fabric so as to keep out that pesky winter wind. I knit my chevaliers at a slightly tighter gauge than the pattern suggested, and while my fingers didn't really enjoy knitting twisty-turny cables on size 4 needles with DK yarn, they're thanking me now, from inside their awesome new WARM mittens.


Chevaliers in their new habitat: permanently on my hands.
Me + my chevalier mittens = 4-ever and ever.

Labels: ,

34 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

Those came out great!!!! I love the tweedy!!!

1:44 PM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

They look great--love the blue tweedyness. I can't wait to cast on for my own pair--I just need to finish up a few other UFOs first!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those mittens are gorgeous! I have an entire bag of "Skip" from a ripped out Betty sweater. You have inspired me!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Love. So, speedy enough for a last-minute Xmas gift?

2:30 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

oh wow, that is some nice mitteny goodness right there. just gorgeous.

2:37 PM  
Blogger ingrid said...

Those mittens look very tempting!

I'm with you on the need for a mitten with a dense fabric -- you can't let that frigid breeze blow right through your stitches.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive, M. I love the tweed.

Nora

3:00 PM  
Blogger E to the M said...

Soooo awesome!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I LOVE them!!! I hadn't seen those mittens before. They look so great.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

This has definitely been mitten weather around here lately, too. They are gorgeous.

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, those are awesome!! And definitely want some. I love the color you chose, too.

3:59 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Those there are some pretty excellent mittens! Love the pattern and the color you chose. I want mittens!! If only it weren't suddenly 80 degrees~

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are indeed awesome! I have them on my long to knit list. How much yarn did you use? I have the same yarn and shade sitting in my stash.

Enjoy them!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Ha! I have so come down with the same strain of startitis disease that's particular to stressed-out grad students. Love the mittens!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Fabulous mittens!

I am going to make some of those - they are gorgeous. But why is the chart so d&mned small?!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Philigry said...

these are great! i love how you make them nice and long

6:58 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love your new BFF mittens, the color is may absolute favorite shade of blue.

7:00 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Pretty prety - they are lovely (and temprting - but its summer here - so I can resist!

8:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great mittens! They look awesome in tweed :)

9:02 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I do need some!! And in that yarn too!! NEED. THEM!

10:42 PM  
Blogger jessie said...

Beautiful. I knit myself some handspun mittens last year but (a) they were not in a tight enough gauge and let the wind whistle through and (b) I lost one. Sigh.

Yours are perfect.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Yours are gorgeous in tweed!! I've been wearing mine on my walks everyday - LOVE them!!

8:19 AM  
Blogger the daily purl said...

I love the color of these mittens! (And the little hints of yellow.) They really show off the cables nicely.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Jenn Huck said...

Love love LOVE your mittens. I need to make some for myself. The tweed is inspired.

3:13 PM  
Blogger whitney said...

Those are some fabulous mittens! I love the color...that perfect shade of blue, and in tweed...

::swoon::

I am seriously going to have to make myself a pair of those.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

Lovely mittens, love the tweedy yarn! Did you know that Tikru and I are cousins (and that we discovered that because of our blogs - that's pretty amazing, isn't it?)? She designs some awesome patterns.

6:59 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

oooh, those look super super warm!

7:09 PM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

They look gorgeous! You always choose the best colors.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Marlena said...

Those are terrific! They look so warm, too. (My malabrigo mittens are just not cutting it this year.)

9:45 AM  
Blogger nova said...

Yes, you are correct. I do, in fact, need some of those mittens. I heart them, and that colorway...gorgeous.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Gorgeous! These are in my queue -- I might have to bump them up. So fancy!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

So lovely! that color is beautiful!

5:54 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

What a great pattern!! I can see why it's hard to separate yourself from them.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Fantastic mittens! I love the color!! YUM!

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home