Monday, December 03, 2007

Cast-On Craze of Winter '07


Because for me, knitting with wild, unfettered abandon relieves stress like nobody's business.


Simple handspun mittens, using a merino/tencel fiber blend handspun by Carrie and the Madelinetosh Simply Mittens pattern designed by Janice Lynn. I heart handspun yarn beyond belief. How is it that I don't know how to spin? Note to self...


One mitten done. I like my mittens with long cuffs. The second mitten will be cast on soon enough; there will be no Single Mitten Liberation Movement. Heading up one movement is enough for me.


Chevalier Mittens, using Rowan Yorkshire Tweed DK. Because one pair of mittens is never enough come winter, right? Yes. I am in love with this mitten pattern, though knitting twisty cables on size 4 needles with DK weight yarn gives the fingers a good workout. But the ultra dense fabric it creates is worth the extra effort. The first mitten is done and its mate is nearly done. No dallying with these--I want to wear them NOW. And all winter long.


Embossed Leaves socks, using STR lightweight in Olivenite. The first sock is finished, but I can't promise that it will have its mate immediately. You know me and socks.


Swatching for some simple garter fingerless mitts, using some delightful handspun yarn given to me by Vera-the-Sweet. Did I already mention that I have a newly realized handspun fetish? Because I do. And, as winter is quickly setting in, I'm rethinking the garter fingerless mitts... I'm going to want covered fingers. So, maybe I am actually swatching for a handspun neck hug and didn't even know it until now.

Gotta keep those fingers good and busy with the knitting, lest my brain implode from stress before I take those ol' prelims. Seven weeks until the dreaded exams. Tick, tick, tick. I already can't wait to have my life back.

26 Comments:

Blogger Kirsten said...

Knitting with handspun is almost as fun as, well, spinning it. You'll have to learn how once you get through prelims. For now, those look like some nice projects to get yourself through the stress.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

all those projects! :) my mind would go buggy! i do love the mitts though - I have to make some this winter! exams, ugh....you'll make it though!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ah...yes. I will be making some mitts for myself really soon. I can finish mitts. Sock pairs...that's a different story. I need to finish up 3 different pair for christmas presents. I'm going to be squeezing them in at the last minute...I know...I'm crazy. But I seem to work better with an impending deadline and doom and gloom if I don't do it.

I still haven't gotten any handspun yet. I've been drooling over some on etsy. One of these days after all the craziness wears off I'm going to get some as well. I desperately want to learn to spin. Ahh...so many things....so little money and time....

2:30 PM  
Blogger nova said...

I love everything photographed on this blog today. I want to knit it all in the exact same yarn. I heart handspun too.

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such beautiful knits! The Chevalier mittens are gorgeous. I've been wanting to make them, but they look a bit daunting... Also love the embossed leaves in that color.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

It all looks delicious! You're finding great projects for your handspun yarn.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

So many beautiful knits made with such lovely fibers. How could you resist?

3:52 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, second mittens are not nearly as daunting as second socks, I am in complete accord!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh what beautiful stuff. I can see why you're so in love with handspun.

6:47 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Wow - what a gorgeous array of things - beautiful! I am also in love with handspun!

7:07 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

So beautiful - I am lost in awe at the gorgeous yarn and the gorgeous objects you are creating from it!

7:51 PM  
Blogger whitney said...

Like Nova, I love every single project you've photographed for this blog post and want to knit them all for myself, in the same yarns. Gorgeous!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Julia G. said...

Oh, you're making *me* want to cast on with wild abandon now! Those projects look delicious. I love the Chevalier mittens, I have been wanting a pair as well. And handspun? Yes, please!

8:21 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

So many pretty things!

Sending you good brainy vibes for those exams...I sympathize with you. They're just no fun, but oh so good to complete! Best xox

8:36 PM  
Blogger Bea said...

Everything looks beautiful. I love the sock especially!

9:24 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

You've got me thinking that maybe it's time to start using some of my handspun. All gorgeous stuff!

12:02 AM  
Blogger La Cabeza Grande said...

Holy moley! What a fantastic and wonderful array of handknits!

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, such beautiful knits! I'm with you on the handspun, in fact, I think I have the matching sock yarn [to your mitts] by Carrie.

Nora

6:19 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Beautiful works in progress - in such beautiful yarns too! I love handspun as well.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Stef said...

Hooray for mittens! That handspun makes a simple pattern shine. They look beautiful. Good luck in 7 weeks-- I'll be taking prelims then, too.

1:09 PM  
Blogger madelinetosh said...

ya want handspun. i got your handspun right here. more than i could ever knit.
you always pick the best projects to knit either that or our styles are so dead sexy and straight on. i still think this may be a case of long lost sister hood.

5:17 PM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

I guess there's nothing like prelims to light a fire under you--studying-wise or knitting-wise!

Your mittens all look beautiful. I'd never seen the Chevalier mittens before; I definitely have to queue these up now. Yours looks beautiful!

Good luck with the studying. You can do it!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Yummy, wonderful colors. I love the texture in everything you have on the needles now!

Good luck studying -- my prelims are coming up in the New Year, too.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

That top picture would be beautiful framed on the wall! The prettiest WIP photo that I have seen in a long time!

7:51 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Love your Chevalier mitts - they look so cozy. I have got to try a pair myself.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Philigry said...

pinocoh, i just love these! found your blog through a friend to knit with. i love it, and will be checking in with you. you experienced knitters give me so much inspiration. i am new, and i get frustrated, but with pictures like these, it keeps me motivated!

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home