Thursday, October 25, 2007

all chocolate cables all the time.


Hi there, my lovelies! Can I just say how happy it made me that y'all showered me with so many wonderful compliments on my finished Wide Collar cardigan? It really was a painstaking knit, so it's great to know that it was worth all of the tribulations. And, well, it *did* turn out awesomely, didn't it? So, thank you and thank you for all of your comments. And with the Wide Collar cardigan off the needles, I hurriedly cast on for something new... something chocolaty... and something cabley...


The beginnings of Femi from the Debbie Bliss Luxury Collection. I'm not usually a fan of Debbie Bliss patterns, but this particular pattern book is chock full of fall-sweater-goodness and I actually highly recommend this book. I'm knitting Femi in Jaeger extra fine merino aran, a yarn I also highly recommend and which was recently discontinued so is available right now on super-duper sale around the internets. This is my first heavily cabled project--I've allowed myself to be unduly intimidated by cabled sweaters, after attempting and failing miserably at knitting Demi from Rowan Vintage Knits. But, turns out that not all cabley sweaters are entirely impossible, and some patterns with multiple charts are *not*, in fact, very difficult at all. And I am quite enjoying this new project of mine. I've only made it through one pattern repeat, but now that I have the rhythm down, progress is sure to pick up and move along.


Speaking of chocolaty, cabley goodness, I just finished one I Love Gansey sock. And can I just say that I am in complete love with this sock? Because I am. I love this pattern, and while it looks semi-complicated, it really isn't very difficult. And I initially didn't like how the Rowan 4 ply soft knit up as a sock, but that feeling vanished quickly--the 4 ply soft makes a dreamy fabric for the foot! It's no accident that the word "soft" is in the name of this yarn! Dreamy, I say.


I did make one modification to the pattern: I replaced the heart gansey motif in the central front and back panels with a diamond motif. Because I have never been one to endorse the hearts on my garments. Diamonds, though, I can get behind the diamonds.


And just look at that sexy heel and gusset! Such fine detailing.


As much as I adore this sock, it is being packed up for a friend who will knit the mate for themselves. It will be sent off to its new owner November 1, tucked away in a Schrodinger Original cube project bag with a second ball of Rowan 4 ply soft for the second sock. Oh, how I will miss it, though. I will surely be making a pair for myself!

Now, back to feverishly studying, teaching, grading, and doing all I can to survive the mid-semester ickles...

Labels: ,

41 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a feast for knitting eyes! Beautiful chocolately goodness. I will need to make those socks soon... I'm still swooning from your last gorgeous sweater. Oh, and I am SO with you on the hearts...

1:33 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

mmmm, i love both the sweater and the sock! delicious :)

2:08 PM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

Yummy, chocolate cables sounds so good.

2:29 PM  
Blogger nikki nimble needles said...

Mmmm... I need some Valhrona. Now.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one gorgeous sock! (And, I have that exact same bag....).

Your new sweater is looking lovely.

3:47 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Good choice on Femi! That is going to be gorgeous when you are done.

And really, who could not love Gansey?

3:57 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Schweet. It will be loved, I have no doubt--and I totally stole your Cube idea.

That sweater is going to rock.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

As I was scrolling down, I gasped. Chocolate cables & fall go together like David Lee & Eddie. Like Lassie & Timmy. Like football & beer. I could go on, but I think you get the point. Just beautiful harmony.
-L

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, swoon! I love the cables! (I know you're shocked!) That sweater is gorgeous. Is there a cabled chart to go with, or are they all written out?

And that neckline is divine.

4:30 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, both browns are lovely...now if you could introduce some blue in there we'd really be in business:)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

You know, I bet a smart chocolate company could make a lot of money by making a chocolate bar with cabled designs imprinted on it. That way you could have your chocolate cables in both yarn and chocolate form. You could even bundle them together for a one two punch.

(runs off to research chocolate making...)

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart them. Both of them, all three of them really. The sweater, the sock and the cube. Yes, please. But I am most envious that you are done with your sock....

5:10 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

What a lovely post! So much cabley goodness in that sweater! And, please, let that sock be for me! ME! ME!

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Soooo yummy to look at. Really beautiful.
-punkin

6:25 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

My mouth is watering here!
Both the sock and the sweater are gorgeous! Please, oh please let me be that friend?

6:27 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

drooly drool!
that is a fantastic sock!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, cabley goodness!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Gorgeous sock! I totally agree on the hearts to diamonds change. And that is a very nice heel and gusset.

The sweater is really pretty too!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Cirilia said...

"Now, back to feverishly studying, teaching, grading, and doing all I can to survive the mid-semester ickles..."

It is BAD this year! We're almost to Thanksgiving break, keep your head up!

Also, those cables are scrumdiddlyumptious.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Well, that settles it. Cocoa before bed. ;-)

(Great, great job on the socks, and that's one exciting sweater! I'll have to pick up the book.)

2:29 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

those cables are to die for.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

brown and cables - you can't go wrong there!!!!! I love them! Lucky pal to get that sock....

8:50 AM  
Blogger Olga said...

That heel...so sexy! Nice sock! I'm so glad that November 1 has come to mean something other than deadlines for fellowship applications! Yay!

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What genius - knit one sock and send it to somebody else with the other ball of yarn. I bet we'd all end up with way more pairs of socks if we just set up an exchange on this model. I'm drooling over the chocolately cables in both projects - yum!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I really love the gansey sock you modified. I like it so much better with the diamonds rather than the hearts. I might even be so inclined to make one now!!

And the sweater...oh yum.

5:00 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Oooh, chocolate and cables. A good combination! On my way home, I'm pretty sure this woman thought I was checking her out. Actually, I was checking out her clearly handknit cabled cardi. :0

5:34 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Beautiful. I'm all about the cables over here also, but it is more about the pumpkin and wasabi cables. Is it wrong to cast on for two orange cabled sweaters at the same time? I didn't think so.
I'm with you on that DB pattern. It is stunning, and I, also, am not normally a big fan of her patterns.

6:09 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

The beginnings of a great sweater - gorgeous! And that Gansey Sock...can you just forget your pal and send it to me?? :)

8:20 PM  
Blogger Joan said...

Looooving the cables. I actually bought that book for the cover sweater. The luxury tweed itself is quite luscious.

12:40 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

love love love femi! and in chocolate it will be gorgeous....
one to add to my list.

and that will be one lucky recipient of your sock! love it.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I already said so over at flickr, but I am just so in love with these chocolate brown textured goodies. Mmm, chocolate.

Good luck with this cabled sweater, I hope it gives you fewer headaches than Demi!

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that chocolate is wonderful ... but I was wondering about some Saffron goodness?????
XOXOX
Mom

8:10 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Chocolate cables. Yummmm...

Both the sweater and the sock look fabulous - I totally agree about hearts on clothing. Unless you are 4 or under, I can't bear it.

The package for your friend is wonderful - love that bag.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Looking gorgeous! I need to get something chocolately on the needles, too!

The sock for your friend looks great. I'm sure (s)he will love it!

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are loving the chocolate cables! I can see why though--beautiful work. Love them both.

12:43 AM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Very handsome chocolate knits. I admire you patience and attention to detail--I don't think I've ever knit anything as detailed as your sweater and socks.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now knit me a marshmallow, please.

4:31 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Just when I thought the sock was as yummy as the cocoa-squish school of knitting could get.

That sweater is going to take over the world.

6:50 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Such wonderful knits - I really heart the socks, and that sweater is going to be a beaut!

11:33 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Hot Cocoa! those are lovely chocolatey cableley knits. Can't believe you have to give that work-of-art sock away!!!

9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such beautiful work, M. Your latest sweaters are exquisite!

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home