Monday, November 12, 2007

Fieldtrip! And then more cramming.


Please humor me, my friends, and insert copious amounts of clever and humorous text of your choosing throughout this post, because it will have none otherwise.


At the moment, my brain is being crammed nonstop with such useless preliminary exam knowledge as: the measurements of the Bouleuterion at the Hellenistic site of Priene and what buildings the important king of the Sabaean Empire, Karib'il Watar, established and when and where and what they looked like and what archaeological materials were found in them.


You see? It's fact-cramming no-stoppa around here, and it doesn't end until sometime in mid-February, when I take 4 written prelim exams and then take an oral exam in which I try to fool my advisors into thinking I am very smart and know an abundant amount of knowledge on many archaeological subjects. So, remaining loyal readers to this blog is going to take some serious commitment in the months to come.


Hopefully, I'll be able to throw in a camel or two when I go off to the UAE this Christmas to excavate, to keep y'all modestly interested. And I'm still harboring the illusion that knitting might appear regularly here, but I wouldn't suggest anyone hold their breaths for such an occurrence.


I did manage to sneak away from prelim cramming and teaching long enough to take a very short trip to Boston last weekend. I should clarify that the trip was specifically to meet with a professor at Harvard regarding my dissertation topic and to scout out a collection of ceramics that I will be writing my dissertation on.


Despite being a buisness-y fieldtrip, M and I packed some serious fun into the trip, and we really saw most all of Boston (and every darn museum in it) in two days. I have so done Boston. And it was awesome. I love that city.


And lest you think there is nothing knitting/crafting-related in this pathetic rambling...


There was a bloggity meet-up Boston-style, in which I met the super-talented Maritza and the über-fabulous Diana and her adorable LL. Fun and fun and fun some more was had at the Darwin's sandwich shop. And lots 'o archaeology gossip was spilled. (Diana is an archaeologist, too). That's right. Archaeology gossip. And it doesn't get more juicy and scandalous than archaeology gossip!

Up next: a post chock full of things that are actually knitted. I swear.

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Prachi said...

I was looking at the photos thinking, that doesn't look like Philly - and then I saw the John Hancock picture (at Copley Sq?). I miss Boston from grad school. Lovely photos, and hang in there - if it's any help, post-prelims does get better....

10:04 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

HA--as my Christmas crankiness was kicking in the other day, I thought, "I wonder if Megan is going to make those camel cookies again this year? That'd help." CAMELS!

And visits. Yay fun!

10:37 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh I miss Boston. I was there a few years ago on my first grown-up vacation/trip with R and had a great time.

Also: heh. Archaeologist gossip. Sounds almost as good as Medievalist gossip, which can get pretty juicy.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Wherever you were for your fieldtrip - it is beautiful.
I love that cobblestone alley with the older buildings and the plants at the windows. Too picturesque.

You are going excavating this X-Mas? That is exciting. One of my childhood dreams was to be an archaeologist - I love ancient Egypt in particular.

Are you going to dish on the archaeological gossip? ;-)

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are some great photos!
Um, cramming until February? Seriously? How are you going to fit that much information in your brain? You poor thing! :0)
Looks like you had a fabulous time away.

5:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photos! I hope you save a tiny bit of your brain for knitting. It will keep the rest of it sane.

UAE - sounds like a total trip. I'm envious.

9:15 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

what a great photo collection of Boston! I live not even an hour away - do I go there - nope...sad....

10:07 AM  
Blogger margaux said...

ahh i miss boston too! i went to school there (go BC!)... i wish I had something funny to say... i'm even less original :-P

10:12 AM  
Blogger larheel said...

Lovely Boston photos! Hang in there - I *just* finished comps (our version of prelims) last month. I know everyone is telling you that you'll make it, and that you'll survive. (If they're not, find new friends :-) ) But seriously, you will know WAY more than you need to in order to pass the exams. Every prof I've met says they were smartest when they took their prelims. One day at a time...and hopefully you can work some fun stuff in, too - a dig sounds fabulous!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Ooh, didja go to the Gardner museum? She doesn't have a lot of middle eastern stuff, but oh, to have lived in that house!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Boston Boston Boston! I will get to be there soon, yay. Was your Harvard meeting a good one?

(Also, many good thoughts to you on your prelims.)

1:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Great pictures of Boston ... absolutely no witty blog text is required! :)

Good luck with your studies!

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, excavating in the UAE over Christmas? Sounds a lot cooler than what I'll be doing then :)

Good luck with prelim-prep!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Haley said...

love your post label. crapademics. very nice. anyway, good luck with everything. i have full faith in you and your archeology talents.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh, I love Boston - it's beautiful in the fall, too.

That scarf you're wearing in the last photo is really gorgeous.

9:22 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Ah, Bahstahn, that's wicked retahded!

(sorry, I couldn't help myself)

Good luck with the cramming. At least it sounds like the stuff you need to cram is really interesting!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

Great photos -- I hope I'll get there someday. I'm just working my way up the American "B" cities, starting with Buffalo. ;)

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know, archivist and librarian gossip can be pretty good too... I am glad you had a great trip! Looks like you had loads o' fun.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful shots of Boston! And no worries on being silent--last year you went away and I eagerly anticipated your return so we could see all the camel pictures!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Michele said...

great photos. and no complaints about a travel post from me.

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home