Monday, March 26, 2007

The Daily Purl Temptation.



Hi. Does this look familiar to you at all? This gorgeous, gorgeous fibery goodness? Do you read Brooke's blog? If you don't, you should. Go now and add her to your blogroll. You won't regret it. Though I must warn you, there's a very good reason that I've taken it upon myself to re-name her blog The Daily Temptation. Because that's what it is for me. Daily. Temptation.



Let's get back to the fiber at hand. If you DO read her blog, you'll surely recognize the fibery goodness above. Let me refresh your memory: this. Look familiar now? And how about this? Perhaps after the first glimpse, I could have gotten over seeing it. The Beaverslide 2-ply mule-spun yarn in Cottontail. But she just had to keep posting about it. Who could blame her? Not me, certainly. This must easily be the most beautiful yarn I've seen or felt in a good long while.



And so I caved. Big time. I am now the very, very VERY happy owner and coveter of six glorious skeins of Beaverslide cottontail. That's 65% fine Beaverslide merino and 35% of the finest kid mohair. Oh, it is heavenly. I've never had such a crush on any yarn before. And my next-sweater-dilemma is officially over. I've been floundering about trying to find my next big project. (Don't worry, Mom! Your Saffron Aud is progressing just fine! Okay, maybe be a *smidge* worried). I swatched a few things and researched and pondered a few more, but nothing congealed to anything even near certainty or excitement. Until this loveliness showed up on Brooke's blog. And then it appeared in my mailbox. Eurkea and eureka some more! The Cottontail Cardigan, it shall be. The Norah Gaughan v-neck number from the Fall 2006 Vogue Knitting magazine, to be exact. Very excited.



Speaking of thrilling crafty gorgeousness, did you happen to notice the amazing little minaudière from which the cottontail has been peeking? That, my friends, is my new Zakka pouch, designed and made by none other than the amazing Nora. You know, of Good Yarn Karma fame. (If you don't read Nora's blog, you should. Go, now, and add her to your blogroll. Then come back, of course, and read the rest of my post.)



This pouch is absolutely beautiful. So well designed. So well constructed. So full of amazing details. So perfect for my new perfect project. And just look at that fabric!



Any and all of you who are able to operate a sewing machine, you can find Nora's Zakka pouch tutorial here. It's a very good thing I *can't* work one of those whirring things with a big plying needle-tooth, 'cause otherwise I wouldn't be able to stop myself from making a million of these bags. Love.



Gorgeous details aplenty!



This is me full of contentment. Beautiful project imminently on the needles, perfect project pouch to keep it tucked safely into. Really, does it get any better than this? Heaven. I'm experiencing it. Thank you for the inspiration, Brooke. And THANK YOU for the stitchy-sewy magic, Nora!

And, wow, thanks so much to everyone who commented on my chevron scarf!! I heart it, and I'm glad you all are in agreement! (I have a feeling this scarf will show up again on my blog... Can't. Stop. Photographing. It.)

Labels: , ,

30 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Such perfect "you" colors on that bag. Clearly, i must make one.

6:56 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

Oh boy. The prettiness of the objects in this post is overwhelming, and I'm trying very hard not to feel envy (or to start buying like a crazed woman!). And thanks for those links to such awesome blogs. I'm definitely adding them to my daily reads-- :)

When you said "this is heaven," I nodded from afar in agreement. Such wonders and pleasure derived from yarn, fabric, good friends, near and far....

Heaven indeed.

6:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Nooooo! Not more gray yarn! I thought I had purged my hunger for beautiful grays with the DSS, but apparently not. I'm off to freeze my credit card in a block of ice.

7:11 PM  
Blogger iSeL said...

You must be working for the knitting devil. That bag/yarn is awe.some!

It looks like I WILL be in Philly this Friday. Care to show me your awe.some scarf?!

7:21 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Wow, that Beaverslide is temping indeed. Did you order the color cards? My daughters and I sat and stared at them in disbelief at their utter gorgeousness...Caving is completely understandable.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

Oh poo you and your spreading of the yarn-coveting virus!
Don't you realise that we're vulnerable?! ;)
Now I have to add Beaverslide to my ever-growing list of yarns I can get 3.5 st to the inch with for my next project.
Grumble..grumble...

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun post! The bird fabric is divine.

8:51 PM  
Blogger christine (threedogknits) said...

Oh, curses for being inept with a sewing machine! I need that pouch. The yarn looks lovely, too. But those birds on that pouch are amazing.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad I am not the only one who finds Brooke to be a fiber pusher. Her site is dangerous. She makes me want to spend oodles of money. I will live vicariously through you. Thank you for buying the cottontail so I don't have to!

11:25 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Wow! Great post. The yarn is divine. Thanks for the links to Brooke's (I think) and Nora's blogs. Brooke does take some serious yarn photos. I'll have to chant, "Tax refund into Roth IRA," for days now.

I've admired the Nora Gaughan cardi from the Fall IK. I'm looking forward to you breaking in the pattern for all of us!

Great bag! After not sewing for 20 years, I was perfectly content to let my sewing machine rot away in the closet. Then Ashley makes bed-warmers, Grumperina makes an apron and skirt, and you show off that fabulous bag. Yes, I've now bought fabric! I hope all of you are happy!

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my soft, squishy goodness, that yarn looks wonderful! (No, jennie, no! *slaps own hand as reaches for credit card*). Can't wait to see how it knits up!

1:35 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Luscious looking yarn! And the bag too? That is a perfect pairing. Thanks for the links...I am off to browse.

3:16 AM  
Blogger Pikku- Kettu said...

Pretty! As if I didn't have enough temptations to begin with. And with the flash your stash day coming, I can kiss my self-imposed yarn diet goodbye.

Thanks for the blog recommendations though, they only eat up my time! :)

3:52 AM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

Beaverslide is, by far, one of my favorite yarns ever (and I LOVE the cottontail colorway). I've been planning a few sweaters out of it, but I need some money first! Thanks for the link to the bagblog/tutorial--that's a great bag, and I would love to try my hand at it myself!

7:50 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Give a girl a break! How can I stay on my yarn diet when you knitters keep flaunting your delicious goods. I've been jonesing for some Beaverslide because of brooklyntweed, daily purl and now YOU. Serious fiber envy over here.

And that minaudière is darling. So is your chevron scarf! Keep the temptations coming.

8:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for cottontail! (Don't you love the plies-definitely one of the nicest worsted weight yarns around.) Look forward to seeing how it knits up in the pattern you've chosen. Absolutely love the fabric on Nora's pouch.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

what a great bag - roomy and stylish!! That yarn is amazing looking - it seems to keep popping up everywhere! eventually I probably will cave too....

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE me some Beaverslide!!!

9:17 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

The yarn and the bag are just beautiful! I especially love that pouch--it's absolutely fabulous. Yay for such pretty things!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Stef said...

I don't usually get all choked up about people's yarn portraits, but... wow. That color knocks me out. My first foray into "luxury" fibers was a fingering weight alpaca scarf in that color, and I love it forever.

Can you post or link a picture of the sweater you're going to make? I'm living vicariously through your yarn purchase here. Since I didn't get the Fall '06 Vogue, I'm having trouble guessing the right cardigan from their preview page. The asymmetric cabled one?

3:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the new yarn, LOVE the new bag. I want to come hang out in heaven too.

Oh, and I just saw your Chevron Scarf--I LOVE that too.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Your blog is seriously the site of all things lovely! The new yarn, that awesome bag, fantastic shirt & the scarf, oh my the scarf!! *swoon*

4:45 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Thanks for the blog suggestions! I added The Daily Purl :) and I already read Nora's blog.

The bag is gorgeous! I love the fabric's details! I'm glad you have a perfect project now :)

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very tempting indeedy! Lovely stuff!

6:16 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Oooh, that bag is wonderful!! I've been thinking about making one ever since I saw the tutorial over at Nora's blog. Between my fabric stash and my yarn stash I'm sure I will find just the thing.

And here you go tempting me with that Beaverslide. I have been fighting that impulse for a long time!!

7:19 PM  
Blogger maritza said...

That IS some mighty tempting yarn there. Love that Zakka-pouch, too!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Shrinkie said...

Gorgeous yarn and I am loving the pouch. Thanks for the link to the Tute - I think I might make one of these for my SP10.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Oiyi said...

I may be obsessed with that yarn now. I must go search online!

That bag is so cute! Thanks for the link to the tute. I want to give it a try even though I am a sewing machine newbie.

12:38 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Thanks for those blog references...wow, that Beaverslide is amazing. I must take those color cards several times a week and just stare at them!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home