Saturday, March 24, 2007

Finished: Lucy Loves Schroeder Chevron Scarf



Finished: Lucy Loves Schroeder Chevron Scarf
Pattern: By the talented Joelle Hoverson in Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Fiber: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks That Rock mediumweight; one skein of "Lucy" and one skein of "Foofaraw"
Needles: size 5 straight needles
Date Started: 08 March 2007
Date Completed: 24 March 2007
Modifications: Just some random tinkering here and there with gauge and starting some rows with different ends of the balls of yarn to obtain maximum color variation. Quite a bit of effort went into controlling where the red portions of the yarn appeared.



Lucy loves Schroeder! Well, we always knew that, but, more importantly: this time Schroeder loves her back! Okay, before I truly confuse any readers who are not regulars around these parts, an explanation: Lucy, of course, is the STR colorway name of the blues and tans yarn, but, for the purposes of my own keeping my own palette of colorway names pleased, I took it upon myself to rename Foofaraw (the reds, oranges, greens, and pinks colorway) Schroeder. Foofaraw, as much as I understand that it is an authentic, verifiable, perfectly correct word, is just not a word to be used by the likes of me to describe anything likable. And this scarf? It's very, very, VERY likable! That Lucy and that Schroeder, they do make a great pair!



As much as I claim not to be a bandwagon-eer, I'm glad that, deep down, I just want to be like everyone else. I really love this scarf and it was such fun to make! Scarves usually feel like a hassle to make, what with the über-repetitiveness and über-ÜBER-length, but this scarf just flew by. I can definitely imagine making another one of these babies. And SUCH a productive way to use STR without wanting to gouge your eyes out to deliver yourself from pooling horrors. And, on that subject, the STR mediumweight is, in this case and ONLY this case, a better choice than Koigu. You will likely never hear me say that again, but I mean it. The mediumweight STR is just a tad thicker than Koigu, and for the purposes of making this scarf, the STR is definitely more suitable. More variegated colors are also better for making this scarf, too.



Now, did anyone happen to notice my oh-so-very swell ensemble? I'm referring to the awesome, awesome red t-shirt I'm wearing. The one with the badass swallow freezer paper stenciled on in black ink. Did I mention that it's my new favorite t-shirt? Because it is. Did I mention that the very talented and very generous Christy made it for me? Because she did. And it is my favorite. Heart! Thanks again, Christy, for being talented in a way that I am not and being willing to share those talents. And look! It goes perfectly with the chevron scarf.



Thus concludes the saga of the longest scarf I ever knit (thus far). This sucker ended up being over six feet long... close to seven, I think. I love the scarf and I think the color choices--though I was very dubious in the beginning-turned out fantastically. This bandwagon was well worth the ride, indeed. Now, where are those Fetchings and Jaywalkers I've been meaning to knit??

And now that I have a completed chevron scarf to flaunt, won't some knitbloggers come visit me so I can flaunt, too?

Have a wondrous weekend, all!

Labels: , , ,

62 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

the chevron scarf look awesome!!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty Pretty Pretty!!!Those colors look fab together, and the splash of red it totally perfect!

5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the scarf!!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Shannan said...

Your scarf looks great!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

You are one rad-looking archaeologist in those pictures with the cool new t-shirt and the gorgeous chevron scarf.

5:47 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Finishing a scarf in basically two weeks? Mighty impressive! Looks great...

6:04 PM  
Blogger Olga said...

Do I see what might be considered in some parts a BIG GRIN? ;-) (I refer mostly to the first two photos.) The scarf is lovely, and I just really really want a shirt like that.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

The scarf looks absolutely gorgeous! Fantastic job.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

It looks so great!! Especially with the new shirt! I would love to make one myself but the thought of 7 feet of knitting at that gauge, well, let's just say it stops me from buying the yarn!!!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Hannah Six said...

I LOVE it!!!! Yesterday I bought a single skein of Claudia Hand Painted because I liked the color and it was the only one left in my LYS--had to give it a good home. So today I've been looking around for inspiration: What to do with sock-weight yarn when not knitting socks? You just provided the answer! Thank you :-)
PS. Your banner is great. I'll definitely stop back!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

It looks great! I hope it's still chilly enough that you get some use of it now.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mari said...

What a lovely scarf, great colours! I HAVE to knit one of those (maybe in some Wollmeise yarn...)
The T-shirt is really cool, too.
:-)

7:32 PM  
Blogger KnittyLynn said...

I am SO going to make one of these puppies for next fall. I've too many socks lined up right now and baby things..but I love STR and I agree, this is the best use of it ever.

I like your color rename too. Everything needs a splash of red!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your chevron scarf turned out great, and you look pleased as punch about it!

7:43 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

your scarf turned out so pretty. i agree, this is a great bandwagon to jump on - i am definitely making one of these!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

It's fabulous! I did notice the t-shirt before you pointed it out.

I'll come visit so you can show it off in person! I hope it's still cool enough out to wear it.

8:25 PM  
Blogger Shrinkie said...

Gorgeous! Definitely on the to-do list when they restock the STR mediumweight. I just bought LMKG about 2 weeks ago and I am really thrilled with how many of the patterns i will actually make up (bought it for the flap hat and the baby pullover).

8:42 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

The scarf came out great. And the t-shirt is kickin' ;)

9:11 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

It's fantabulous. Really--it looks phenomenal, in itself and on you. And the red? Perfectly balanced throughout.

Christy's t-shirt isn't half-bad either :)

10:13 PM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

The scarf (and shirt) look great! I love the colors you've got--bright but not garish. It's also nice to read that there are others out there who prefer Koigu to STR--we're definitely in the minority (though it's a good minority!).

10:57 PM  
Blogger jen said...

Beautiful scarf! That shirt rocks!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

So so lovely! I love the colors together! Out of curiosity, about how many more hours than 8 would you say that it took to knit?

11:16 PM  
Blogger Prachi said...

It's beautiful! May Lucy and Schroeder have a long and happy life together!

12:12 AM  
Blogger iSeL said...

Look at you, so cool and stylish! Awesome t-shirt and scarf.

12:28 AM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

So rad -- both the scarf and the shirt. Again, I can't help but say, "you rock!" [I'll try my best to come up with a new blogger-comment expression soon :) ]

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your chevron is so beautiful! Love, love, love, those colorways together!

2:53 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlett said...

Your scarf looks so good!
I am glad you wrote about the shirt too - it got my immediate attention. I am sucker for red and black.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

This is one of the nicest scarfs I have seen in a long time....simply gorgeous!

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh-oh. I've been on the fence about making one of these...and you might just be pushing me over the edge! Beautiful job!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute! I think I might just have gotten pushed over the bandwagon edge .

2:35 PM  
Blogger maritza said...

The scarf! It is done, and it is spectacular! It looks fabulous!

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I coveted your T-shirt right away when I saw the very first picture! Being anal about such things, I have to make a gentle correction in that it's a swallow, but it is the very sveltest and fetchingest of swallows. And the scarf is just terrific. I'm alone in the house for a couple of hours and I might just drop everything and go tear out my sad beginnings of an Old Shale scarf and cast on a Chevron instead...

4:20 PM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

I just cast on the damn thing this morning. There are only so many big projects I can handle at once. I love how the Foo-blah looks even better with a new name! Get onto those Jaywalkers . . . they are addictive!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

Gorgeous! Did you hear Explosions in the Sky live on All Songs Considered?

5:01 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

nice job! I'm loving your scarf (and the rest of your outfit, too!)

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the scarf looks great! i wish i was just as successful as you when alternating different coloured yarn when knitting.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Carson said...

It's turned out so well!
Ok, so now I can admit I was a tad sceptical about the colourway combination but I'm pleasantly surprised!

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is so very, very excellent, megan!

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it really did turn out fabulous. i really like the colourway too, great choice.
oh and i love your t-shirt, it rocks!

8:33 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

It looks fantastic! You really chose a great pair of yarns for the scarf.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

It looks fantastic!
I love the shirt that Christy made for you too! I've been meaning to get on that freezer paper stencil bandwagon myself. . .

11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you make me want to be a joiner too -- your chevron scarf is fantastic (so's your tee)!

12:46 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Your scarf is, of course, darling! And how cute are you in it?! This is by far, one of my favorite color combinations. I love how lucy and shroeder play together--they are soulmates.

12:49 AM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Oh I LOVE your top (And the scarf's great too ;)

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scarf looks great! I keep seeing all of these great chevron scarves everywhere. so tempting!! The t-shirt is fantastic as well!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

that came out amazing! i haven't seen too many done in lighter colors, but I love it with the splashes of red. nice job!!!!

9:20 AM  
Blogger margaux said...

fabulous scarf!!! (and shirt too!)

Ride on, girl. Ride on!

9:33 AM  
Blogger A South Park Republican said...

Gorgeous scarf!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

Foofaraw looks lovely with Lucy! Still not sure about that name, but looks smashing! Has any helped you out with the origin of the name? It's one of my big Blog mystery
-Lola

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look so very very hip. LOVE the scarf AND the shirt.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Great scarf and great tee! I have been wanting to try that freezer paper bit for a long time!

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It pleases me to no end that Schroeder finally loves Lucy. Gorgeous scarf Megan!

5:02 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

Geez that was fast! My chevron is still languishing away in the 1-2 foot range. I am a very (VERY!) slow knitter apparently. Yours is beautiful by the way.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I can't get enough of that t-shirt!

Your scarf looks great, too, though. :-)

9:52 PM  
Blogger a blossom knits said...

Your scarf colors are very pretty! I've decided on Watermelon Tourmaline and Lemongrass for mine.

BTW, thanks for the soap (I purchased some bars from your Etsy shop). They're just lovely! I used to have my own business doing handmade soaps . . before 9/11 . . but I haven't picked it back up since 2001. I am using your Rosewood & Geranium right now. I will definitely buy more soon. Thanks again!

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, that's beautiful!! Great colour combination!

12:53 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Fantastic!! The knitting, the yarn colours, AND the T-shirt. Great photos of an awesome FO.

2:21 AM  
Blogger bellamoden said...

I absolutely love your scarf! This. This is the one that pushed me over the edge into needing one of my own!

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's just fantastic!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous! Lovely colors

7:27 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

yeah, what the million peope in front of me said. . .GORGEOUS!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful scarf! I found your blog when I was looking for pattern for the scarf. I found a new yarn called Misti Alpaca hand dyed that I will knit it in! Happy knitting!
http://www.siddis-in-houston.blogspot.com/

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home