Sunday, May 13, 2007

Greens are good for you!


Where has the time gone? A whole week has gone by since I've last spoken 'round these parts? If you're wondering where I am, I've been spending copious amounts of time here (staring wistfully out of the above window), the good old standby, as my life has devolved back into this familiar scene. It seems like forever ago that I finished my Rosy Baltic Socks and got showered with copious amounts of the nicest comments ever about them. Thanks, everyone! Apparently, they're keepers!


What am I up to these days? Well, this. And this. And still more of this. Which really leaves little room for much else. I did manage to start some twisted flower socks using some amazing mossy green Fleece Artist Sea Wool. The pattern is great and the yarn is wondrous, but I'm already having doubts about my progress. The Sea Wool may not be the best match for this intricate pattern; the slight variegation and shininess of the yarn seems to be obscuring the pattern somewhat.


See what I mean? Hmmm. You can see it, but it doesn't really stand out like it should. Like it does in this beauty. I REALLY love the pattern, so I don't want to stop knitting it, but I think I might, and find something else to knit with this gorgeous yarn. Speaking of, I just so happened to have stumbled upon the perfect pattern for it! Vinnland Socks! People check this pattern out! Best part about it is it is free on the internets. It's toe-up, though, and I am not yet equipped to perform the toe-up. I have to invest in some of these first, which will be happening very soon, I suspect. (Thanks, Bockstark, for introducing me to the Vinnlands and encouraging me to learn the magic cast-on for toe-up socks, which is FAR more doable than figure 8!) And you all should go check out Bockstark's amazing Vinnland sock beginnings!


I've also been doing a good share of ogling this stuff (above: Classic Elite Skye Tweed in "Spruce") that I bought for a song on WEBS many months ago, and that stuff (below: Rowan 4 ply soft in discontinued color "Military"), also acquired for a pittance when it was discontinued. Ahhhhh, deep, dark, dull greens! Yum.


I've been feeling a bit overwrought by the brights and pastels I've been steeping myself in. I'm so NOT a lover of these colors, usually, but I've vigorously embraced them lately for Project Spectrum - pushing comforts and boundaries is a good thing, sometimes. But I'm finally feeling the effects of all of the color, and lately I've begun to feel the urge to work with darks and dulls and stave off pinks, yellows, pastels, and bright colors.


I'm thinking this might be a good solution. A nice vintage-y pink deep, dull, dark green cardigan designed by Norah Gaughan (pattern from IK Spring 2005). Problem of overabundance of brights solved. And nicely, I might add.


Here's another project that I've been contemplating, though this one would be less suited for spring/summer knitting: an intriguing collar cardigan in a nice dark, foresty spruce tweed (pattern from the new Jo Sharp Knit Issue 3, which Nora was kind enough to send me straight from Aussieland). I'm still contemplating the functionality of the collar on this sweater, though. I'm afraid it might tug and weigh heavily on my neck, or that the collar would flap awkwardly when I walked. So, perhaps I'll stick with the vintage cardigan for now.

I'm off, now, to resume doing... surely you can guess... more of this. One day I'll be able resume knitting (and blogging, and reading others' blogs, and commenting on others' knitting progress) with some sort of regular frequency.

Until then, have a happy Sunday evening, everyone! And Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

Labels: ,

41 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Sea Wool is amazing, indeed. I worked a Twisted Flower swatch using an ever-so-slightly variegated skein of Bearfoot, and the color+hairiness definitely obscured the pattern.

Good luck finishing your grading super-fast, there's some shiny (well, dull and dark) yarn at the end of the tunnel!

8:35 PM  
Blogger Prachi said...

I'm laughing at all the *different* photos of your bluebooks. I too am buried under a similar pile, but am nearly done.
I posted last week about how I think of my fellow bloggers when I see particular shades of yarn (including you when I see green). Good to know you still have this healthy taste.

Btw, the yarn does seem to obscure the pattern.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Sea Wool, but I think you're right. Perhaps that pattern is better suited to solid yarn. I love the Vinnland pattern; I saw it last week and printed it out. So many patterns, so little time...

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see what you mean. A semi solid perhaps?

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you in grad school at Bryn Mawr? I just clicked on your link and saw the blue books. I graduated from those hallowed halls (undergraduate) and one of the things I regret is never taking a Bryn Mawr archeology course.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Yeah, it'll stink frog it, but I think you'll be much happier with a different yarn pattern combo.

9:36 PM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

I love the Jo Sharp pattern, but I am a cardigan whore! And I shouldn't be trusted.

Frog & move on. I've got one Pomo just sitting in a bowl, but she's never getting a mate.

Thanks for sharing your coffee pictures. That cup makes me smile every time I see it. The papers do not!
-L

10:12 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

You can get through that grading, girl!! I just finished mine a couple of days ago, and now I'm trying to catch up in the blogosphere. As for future sweater projects, both are lovely, though I really do love that collared cardigan.

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Sea Wool is lovely, and the pattern is lovely, but I don't think they play well together.

I feel your pain with the frogging - I ripped and re-knit my current pair of socks six times before the yarn decided what it wanted to be when it grows up. Lime & Cilantro Sundara sock yarn + Snicket sock pattern from MagKnits = my first pair of toe-up socks.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

You've been assaulting me with sock pattern pr0n lately. Cut it out!!!!!

BTW, toe-up is awesome.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

My dad was an American Lit professor. My brother and I learned at this time of year that it was important to be very quiet so Daddy could grade. Very ominous.

I think Vinnland is perfect for your sea wool! All three yarns are quite nice. You are wise to think about the difficulties with the Jo Sharp jacket. Could the lapels be held back with a decorative button, or would that be too gauche?

11:23 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

I keep saving those Cookie A. patterns for just the perfect yarns :) They're so awesome that you have to do them justice!

It looks like you have a lot of exciting things planned. I hope you get through all your work soon!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Fleece Artist is such a pretty green! Although I do think it looks nice knit up now, I love the large motif/stitch that swirls up foot on the Vinnland socks-really makes a statement.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Mmmm greens.
Personally, I'm a fan of the collared cardigan. I think it would look great in that color, too. I think the big collar looks nice a snuggly. If it doesn't ending up look quite right for public consumption, it could morph into a snuggly, "on the couch" sweater.

11:48 PM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

I agree that the sea wool is lovely, but doesn't seem so suited to such a detailed pattern. Maybe not a great pairing?

Mmm. I love those colors in the 4 Ply and the Skye Tweed. Deep greens--some of my favorites! Good luck with all of the bluebooks--you'll get through!

1:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your photo of the sock looks gorgeous!!!
i think perhaps the vinnland would work better with the yarn as the pattern is a little less 'busy'. i think twisted flower needs something a little more solid with perhaps a bit of shine to it to bring out the true pattern as it is a little more cluttered. but beautiful nonetheless :0)

2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the sock in that yarn! It is so scrumptious!!! I'm a more non-solid person though and think that anything looks better in a "shaded solid" than plain solid. I think you should continue...just my .02. But Vinnlands are really nice too!!!

2:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in a mad rush when I commented here this morning and forgot to mention the Jo Sharp cardigan.

My mum has a store-bought jkt with that collar and it does flap about as you walk/lean forward etc - not dissimilar to wearing a scarf (except that it's attached).

Check out the longer vest next to it - totally different concept (even without the belt).

Now, a longer version (with sleeves) as we discussed over at Flickr...

Oh, and what about that cable vest (p61)? If done in the right colour...

Hmmm.

5:34 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You are so funny....I'm in student portfolio hell right now as well, but it will be over soon.

Thanks for that Vinnland pattern, I'll be checking that one out fer sher. Cool Sea Wool!

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, I love that wide-collar cardigan. I wonder if you could keep the lapels in place with a few strategically placed basting stitches... it would be lovely in that gray!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

the sea wool is really pretty, but i think you are right - that tiny bit of tweedy variegation may be hiding the pattern a little....

all that discontinued yarn is my favorite color - olive green! I love the 'autumn' shades....

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just grabbed some of the classic elite skye tweed from WEBS as well (overstock!) and can't wait for it to get here so i can fondle it and pick something fun to do! and the vinnland socks? yes, you should.

11:08 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Loving the return to my favorite colors (though the pastels were lovely in their own way). I think there needs to be a giant swap/KAL/love-in/SOMETHING every spring for all the knitting academics. Vinnland would be perfect for the sea wool, I think. Both the sea wool and Twisted Flower deserve perfect mates. :)

I covet that big-collar cardigan -- floppy maybe, but probably nothing a shawl pin wouldn't take care of.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Ashley said...

Oh lord, that sea wool is AMAZING. I'm ordering some right now.

Good luck with the grading--tunnel! light! end!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

These look so much like my Twisted Flower Socks. Check out my blog for photos of them finished in a very similar yarn. Happy knitting!

11:57 AM  
Blogger iSeL said...

I still think it looks beautiful, and I agree with Bockstark over at Flickr in that unless we get to see how it looks on your leg, it is hard to tell for sure whether the pattern gets lots or not.

But you know me, I am a sucker for green socks no matter what.

Hope you're making great progress grading. Your yarn needs you!

1:42 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Ugh, I wish you'd stop knitting socks - you're distracting me from my end of the semester work with tempting patterns and beautiful yarns. Grr. Those socks are so beautiful, although I'm not sure if it's the pattern, yarn or the combo that I like the best. Good luck with that grading. The end is near!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I want some sea wool...you are getting to be as bad as Brooke in the enticements category. I need to learn toe-ups, maybe I will try that cast on and give it a go. Good luck with the remainder of the grading.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Good luck getting all the grading done. I turned in my grades today, but now I'm looking at a huge mountain of papers on my desk. There's yarn on the stove and company coming at six. Oh, well. I guess I'll have to put the desk cleaning off. :) Your green socks look so springy.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh ... BMC bluebooks. It's been a while since I filled one of those with deep thoughts. Good luck grading! And knitting loving green things.

3:06 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

good luck getting all of that grading done....then summer fun!
love the projects you are thinking about....and of course your green socks! beautiful!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful greens!

Hope your life calms down soon!

11:12 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Holy cow, girl. These yarns made me drool. Amazing colors and textures!

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finish up marking those blue books and get to knitting your new fab yarns!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

oh no, bluebooks! *Me gently rocking myself in the corner*

I do think that is an amazing pattern and it deserves to be shown off. But I am torn, that yarn is just oh so pretty.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Well at least your bluebooks look much nicer than the ones my school used to make me buy. I thought those things were a complete waste of money, there were no spaces for names/dates or anything else!

And as lovely as the Sea Wool is, I think you're right in thinking that it'd be better suited by the Vinnland pattern.

Good luck with finishing up the grading if you haven't already! Although there are a lot worse places than such a nice looking coffee shop to spend lots of time :)

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The socks look great, but yeah, could look a little better in a more solid yarn.

Bummer on the school?/grading?/time away from knitting thing.

Oh yes.. and I've tagged you. Come on over to see what for... If you don't... you owe me yarn. Or soap. Or..?

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and, i'm tagging you! see see http://www.bockstarkknits.net/2007/05/16/ive-been-tagged/ for details.

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

found you through ravelry! And was very excited to see another knitter from the philly area. I love the colors you are using now.. I can't wait to see more.

10:47 AM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

You already got tagged but I'm tagging you again anyway!

2:37 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

I'm afraid I agree with you, the twisted flower sock would probably show up better in a more solid yarn. And the beautiful sea wool deserves to be showcased too.

I'm so jealous that you got your hands on that Jo Sharp book. The patterns in it are to die for. I've been trying to find it, but I guess it's still only available in Australia...

Good luck getting all your work done!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home