Thursday, May 03, 2007

Secret swap-tastic.


Since I don't have the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival to look forward to this weekend (ack! too, too much work to do! MDSW treats and yarn donations will, however, be accepted), I'm looking forward to other summery events. Like Sockapalooza4. It's my first time doing a Sockapalooza, so I'm excited. I started my blog at the end of last July (oh yes, there will be a contest come July), and I distinctly remember reading a million different knitblogs about Sockapalooza, and then of course I had to suffer through everyone's grand reveals during August. Well, this time I won't feel out of the loop because I am in it to win it! Oh, wait... it's not a contest... we all win! Yay mystery socks!


So, I have my sock pal, the yarn, and the pattern. The yarn is that baby above--some STR lightweight in Star Sapphire. I've been saving it for a special occasion, and, well, since I am having such fantastic luck with STR these days, I figured it would make the sock pal knitting a breeze. I'm thinking Lombard Street Socks for the pattern. Free pattern, which I'm all about these days, interesting lace, and some great details like the picot cuff and the eye-of-partridge heel. Fun and interesting to knit AND my sock pal will appreciate a little bit of schmancy, I think. What do you think? Would *you* like to get these socks? I was also sort of considering the Lacy Quill Socks, too, but these might be a bit too holey for my taste.


And at the very last moment, I joined the Knitting Gnome Swap, because I'm a big sucker for a sweet roaming garden gnome. This gnome is a sweet knit gnome (like this one) who is sent to each person in the swap, and each person, upon receipt of the gnome, takes it for a tour of their hometown and then packs it up with some yarny treats for the next recipient, and sends it on. So at some point this summer, I will have a gnomey visitor. Should be entertaining.

Now, if only I would hear something from my Sockapalooza4 pal. I haven't yet been contacted, which makes me a little sad... do I have a secret pal? Is someone getting advice about what to knit me?? Please contact me, secret pal! Please? Woot! My shout out worked! My sock pal sent me an email! I have a sock pal! Yay sock pal!

I have heard from my Gnome Swap pal... yay!! (Hi, Gnome Swap pal, if you're reading this! Thanks for the email!)

And if you want to know where my awesome Etsuko squirrel family is from, go visit Maritza's Etsy shop, soto softies! (My Etsuko squirrel family just got a little bigger tonight, too! I can't wait for this little guy to arrive at his new home!)

Have a great rest of the week, everyone!

Labels: ,

30 Comments:

Blogger iSeL said...

I would love to get those Lombard socks in that STR goodness. Fer ser. The other ones are OK, but not as pretty.

That gnome thing sounds really cool! To join or not to join? Hmmm.

No MDSW for me either. :(
Or maybe I'll go insane and leave everything behind...we'll see.

10:04 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

I'm forgoing MS & W as well, this is not the time in the semester to be galavanting around when there are papers to correct!:(

I'm so glad you joined the gnome swap, that's going to be a fun one...

10:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who collects those squirrels!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

If you were knitting for me--odds are you're not, but hey, I did requst a solid or semisolid!--I would be happy with the Lombard socks (plus, Philly shoutout!) but not so much with the quill socks--as you said, too holey.

I missed out on the gnome swap thing--that is going to be fun!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

That's so weird! I was TOTALLY planning to make a Lombard Street Sock this month! I was saving it for my trip to San Francisco in two weeks :)

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, I would be happy with those Lombard socks! I wouldn't fret about not hearing from your sock pal yet. I only contacted mine today because I saw so many people were eager to hear from theirs.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute stuff! I love the Lombard socks and in that color - beautiful!

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, let me think about this one...gorgeous sock pattern, dreamy yarn, lovely colour...i suppose i wouldn't mind getting those socks if i were your sock pal! :0)

ahhh, i never get sick of seeing those squirrels everywhere. they are so cute!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

I think your pal will be very happy with those socks, that's a great pattern! And how can you go wrong with STR in such a nice color?

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heee, now your toys match your zakka pouch!
Did you receive the sock pattern email from me? Toe up...

12:54 AM  
Blogger maritza said...

My vote is for the Lombard Socks.

Thanks for the shout-out - so happy you like the squirrels! You know, I never noticed that you had a whole blue theme going with them. Cool!

1:38 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

I also vote Lombard socks. And I can't get enough of those squirrels or the fabric!

1:46 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Millionthing the Lombard recommendation.

Also: I love that your squirrel is a) wearing a polka-dot skirt and b) has managed to swallow a bird whole.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, must be the Lombard for the purdy yarn.

I like squirrels. I like bees. I like the squirrel with the bee.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Cirilia said...

YES, I would love to get those socks. In fact I've been telling myself that since I'm a Virgo and my birthstone is sapphire and I have 11 tiny star tattoos that those are DEFINITELY for me.

But they probably aren't. Sigh. I love that STR color, it looks like they don't make it anymore...which just makes me want those socks more.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

The Lombard are a good choice for that yarn....the others are too lacey, I also think...I have the same color just waiting in the stash, so I'm anxious to see how they come out!

I love the newest squirrel with the ladybug tail!!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or is that a wasp? I like them, too.

8:49 AM  
Blogger femiknitter said...

I love the Lombard socks--I think they will be great! The Quill ones are cute, but not as interesting, and since you're using the somewhat solid (beautiful), I think you made the right choice.

The Gnome Swap? Quite possibly the best swap idea I've ever heard of. I TOTALLY would have joined if I had known about it (I'm assuming sign-ups are closed--I didn't see anything on the page about it). Maybe next round!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEEEEECK!!!!!
You all can keep all those squirrels ..... I don't need a reminder.
We just paid bookoo bucks to have a squirrel family evicted from the attic (I'll tell you all about it when you visit).

Love the Blue Lombard Socks.

Now it's off to another "Crap" eeer...CRAFT fest!!!
XOXOXOXOXO

9:23 AM  
Blogger Lola and Ava said...

I've been eyeing that wasp/bee fabric for a while. It looks very cute as a squirrel.

You've reminded me that I need to look at all of the yarn on STR website, not just the Multi page!

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I' m de-lurking. I think the Lombard would look fantastic with the STR goodness!

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think your skein is navyish at all, it's gorgeous! I wouldn't mind those Lombard socks at all...spectacular... Have a good weekend!

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just jumping on the lombard bandwagon!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the squirrels are very pretty

12:21 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Gnomes?! I am so jealous. I love some good gnome action.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you became a Flickr contact, because otherwise I wouldn't have seen your blog and would have TOTALLY forgotten about the MD Sheep & Wool fest. Also... those squirrels are cute and I love that shade of STR..

1:53 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Wow. It's getting crowded in this Lombard wagon that I'm trying to jump on.
Pretty yarn.

2:35 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

Of course I'd like some Lombard socks! And the STR is beautiful! What fun! I'm just learning socks so I'll join next year!

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knit the Lombard Street socks but am stuck on the foot of the second because I think I will run out of yarn and just haven't gotten around to ordering more. But the socks themselves, are stunning. Also, I knit them up on US 1s and they came out really small and tight--I can barely get them over my ankle. I think 2s might be a better choice. Just FYI.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Pretty choices! If you were knitting for me I'd love it!!!

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home